New to OpenMW and Modding

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
liegelorde

New to OpenMW and Modding

Post by liegelorde »

Hello I'm new to this and I've started my way down the 224 recommended mods list on modding-openw.com. So far I'm at #62 on the list, Windows Glow - Tribunal. I've skipped any that have required file name changes and others that are marked as partially working. Right now I've found 3 problems.

1. Apels Various Things Signs is giving me shiny bordered tavern signs.
2. Morrowind Containers Animated makes all containers into exclamation points (not sure what to call these) when active.
3. WindowsGlow v2.2 makes all windows into exclamation points when active.

Also, is there any where I could just find a complete mods folder and config file? This is taking forever.
klorax

Re: New to OpenMW and Modding

Post by klorax »

liegelorde wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 16:39 Also, is there any where I could just find a complete mods folder and config file? This is taking forever.
Hi!
I am pretty sure the problem with that is, that most mod have very little license information available, and therefore you are not allowed to redistribute or combine them with other mods.

You might not need all of those mods to be satisfied :D , and once you are done, you are free to store that huge compilation for future private use.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

It seems you just forgot to plug-in BSA files, so meshes for these mods are missing.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

With the exclamation points, are you sure you've installed the whole mods? If, for example, they include their assets in a BSA archive and you've not added it to your fallback-archive list, OpenMW won't be able to find the required meshes and then will fall back to an exclamation mark. Unlike the later games in the series, Morrowind didn't automatically load BSAs with a name that matched an ESP, so OpenMW doesn't either, and you have to activate them all yourself.

Regarding Apel's Various Things - Signs, it looks like it includes a normal map for signs. In the vanilla engine, normal maps weren't supported at all, but MGE and MGE XE added support by repurposing the environment map texture slot. OpenMW instead supports normal maps through a different mechanism without breaking environment maps, but this means that mods intended for use with MGE XE have their normal maps rendered as if they were environment maps when used with OpenMW, and they look wrong. Following the instructions here should let you use the mod in OpenMW with no issues: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3922
liegelorde

Post by liegelorde »

Hmm, the only one that has a BSA so far is Windows Glow Tribunal. I dug through the files and there was no .bsa with Morrowind Animated Containers or Windows Glow v 2.2.
Here is the first 7 lines of my openmw.cfg file:

specular map pattern=_spec
normal map pattern=_n
no-sound=0
fallback-archive=Morrowind.bsa
fallback-archive=Tribunal.bsa
fallback-archive=Bloodmoon.bsa
fallback-archive=Windows Glow TR.bsa
fallback=LightAttenuation_UseConstant,0

Also, I'm not so sure about the first three lines as those seem to be something that belongs in settings.cfg.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The top three are certainly supposed to be somewhere else.
liegelorde

Post by liegelorde »

Ok, removing those 3 lines fixed the Windows Glow Mod.

Animated Containers is still busted. I double checked and could not find a .bsa, just a .esp. Could it be that the meshes are located to deeply in the file?
Here is the path to the meshes: C:\games\MorrowindMods\MorrowindContainersAnimated\Data Files\meshes\AC
This is it in openmw.cfg: data="C:\games\MorrowindMods\MorrowindContainersAnimated"

Also, I'm now having the same issue with the mesh and textures of Argonians and Khajiit when the mods Races Redone and New Beast Bodies Clean Version are turned on.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You need to point at the Data Files folder, so data="C:\games\MorrowindMods\MorrowindContainersAnimated\Data Files"
liegelorde

Post by liegelorde »

So openmw will only look at the contents of the specific file I'm calling in the openmw.cfg?
Is it safe to just put all of the assets into the top folder for every mod?
liegelorde

Post by liegelorde »

Sorry I don't know how to quote on forums but the link you gave me earlier for the sign fix tutorial didn't lead anywhere.