Possible creature invincibility bug in Morrowind Rebirth?

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
HALLEYSHURA

Possible creature invincibility bug in Morrowind Rebirth?

Post by HALLEYSHURA »

I'm not sure if this is necessarily the right board to post this, but I've been running into an issue recently.

Trying to do a Rebirth-based run with a thief character, but some creatures seem to be "invincible" when I try to attack them, particularly scribs and kwama foragers. No matter how high my Short Blade skill is, I can't land a hit on either of these creatures, and the only way I an get a forager to stop attacking me is to get a guard to kill it (which somehow works??).

I don't know if this seems to be an issue with Rebirth in OpenMW; I can attack these creatures in my non-OMW Morrowind Rebirth game, and I can attack them in a modless OpenMW game.

Running version 0.43.0 of OpenMW, version 4.43 of Morrowind Rebirth.
densm27

Re: Possible creature invincibility bug in Morrowind Rebirth?

Post by densm27 »

Just a guess, but does your character wear Boots of Blinding Speed or have Blind effect from any other source? This situation is very similar to what happened to me once, when I nearly lost my sanity trying to figure out why I miss every strike :D
It was the Boots in my case, the visual effect of blindness is not too strong with a Breton's magic resistance, so I completely forgot about it.
IIRC, I also had Rebirth turned on, so maybe it's tuning some settings affecting accuracy? Is it even possible, or hit rate formula is hardcoded?
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

If I remember correctly, there also was a bug that was next to impossible to hit certain creatures due to a hit box issue. Unsure if this has been resolved yet

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4874&p=52124&hilit=bug#p52124

ST
HALLEYSHURA

Post by HALLEYSHURA »

densm27 wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 17:43 Just a guess, but does your character wear Boots of Blinding Speed or have Blind effect from any other source? This situation is very similar to what happened to me once, when I nearly lost my sanity trying to figure out why I miss every strike :D
It was the Boots in my case, the visual effect of blindness is not too strong with a Breton's magic resistance, so I completely forgot about it.
IIRC, I also had Rebirth turned on, so maybe it's tuning some settings affecting accuracy? Is it even possible, or hit rate formula is hardcoded?
I actually have no magical items on me outside of an Alchemist's Robe. :"D

It's either a hitbox issue or Rebirth is messing around with said hitboxes; again, I haven't had this issue at all on a save without Rebirth on.
HALLEYSHURA

Post by HALLEYSHURA »

This issue has been fixed as of MR 4.5
Fixed issues where the player wouldn't be able to hit creatures or NPCs using one handed weapons when using Open MW. This was due to some weapons having reach values being below 1.0 in Morrowind Rebirth, a feature which OpenMW doesn't support.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

A quite strange. There should not be any difference between below 1.0 and more than 1.0 reach values in OpenMW.
Maybe something wrong when btConeShape has height < 1.0 in PhysicsSystem::getHitContact?

Also in vanilla game an actor can move inside other actor's collision box, in OpenMW it is not possible.
Just a guess: the player just can not move close enough to hit the small target with weapon with very small Reach.

EDIT:
I am not sure if Morrowind Rebirth requires the MCP, but in vanilla game an engine defaults weapon Reach to 1.0 if its value < 1.0 (probably to avoid similar issues), so minimal Reach in MR is 1.0. MCP can disable this feature.
OpenMW replicates MCP behaviour for now, which can lead to issues with very short weapons.
So OpenMW supports values below 1.0, but Morrowind Rebirth actually does not.