Do NOT ask Abot about OpenMW compatibility

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
clocknova

Do NOT ask Abot about OpenMW compatibility

Post by clocknova »

Whatever you do, DO NOT ask Abot about making his mods compatible with OpenMW. I did so, rather politely, and he actually banned me from viewing his mod pages on the Nexus. Any easy enough hurdle to get around, of course, which is why I was surprised he bothered, but still. This is what he had to say:
Last advice. I'm tired repeating the same thing on each of my mods threads here. IMO OpenMW should be made compatible with Morrowind.exe, not the reverse. Next user commenting on making my mods compatible with OpenMW will be banned from my mods on Nexus.
He did, at least, post this note at the top of the page for his Water Life mod: "NOTE: OpenMW is NOT YET compatible with this mod and I don't use/support OpenMW so don't ask."

His attitude, not to mention his rudeness, is a shame, because I consider his mods to be some of the best that the community has to offer, and I told him so. I'm really missing the ambiance that Water Life brought to the coastal regions of the game. What do we know about what is keeping these mods from functioning. Do they depend on quirks in the original engine which cannot, or will not, be replicated in OpenMW? Or is this something that will happen eventually (apparently without Abot's help)?
kuyondo

Re: Do NOT ask Abot about OpenMW compatibility

Post by kuyondo »

sorry in advance, im no pro or dev , but people will only realise the true power of openmw post 1.0 when it comes to modding. when that time comes, even more flexible and better mods can be created for morrowind. its sad that one of the most passionate morrowind modder, doesnt support openmw. but i hope he changes his mind later.
clocknova

Post by clocknova »

Yeah. I'm not sure where his apparent hostility towards OpenMW comes from, but now that I've had time to look through the posts on his other mods more carefully, I see his attitude has been around for a while. The funny thing is, as OpenMW moves closer to 1.0 and beyond, there are going to be more and more people switching from Morrowind.exe to OpenMW, which means more people wanting compatible versions of his mods. This isn't exactly going to get less annoying for him.

I, for one, really want to be able to run Water Life with OpenMW.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

A quick check of the mod (using the OpenMW-cs) reveals one script error which I believe needs fixing - in script ab01wlcrShipWreckScript:
MessageBox "shipwreck N. %g scale set to %f" ab01wlShipWrecks
which clearly needs a second parameter

It's wrapped up in if/endif and appears that it only runs when the mod is in debug mode - therefore the error will probably not break normal play.

There are numerous other errors such as missing names which I feel are overzealous checking in the OpenMW-cs verification.

There are also numerous warnings of wrong usage of PlaceItem - both vanilla Morrowind and OpenMW appear to ignore the problem.

I haven't yet encountered any of the shells/starfish/coins which Tinker reported as faulty in OpenMW 0.35

So it's probably worth further testing, to see how broken the mod is on the current version of OpenMW.

Loriel
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

It's a pity that Abot don't look for work directly with the OpenMW Team. But when OpenMW 1.0 is out and fully functional I think he'll accept to use it.
Coincidently, I've been creating an issue to this exactly problem with the PlaceItem Syntax problem and now is already reported.
http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/4188
clocknova

Post by clocknova »

I installed Water Life but never saw anything related to it appear in game. Maybe I'll give it another try.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

After a bit more testing, with no errors found, I have upgraded the status on the wiki to "Working", but with minor reservations.

Loriel
clocknova

Post by clocknova »

I finally did see some of the creatures from Water Life start to show up, but they were so sparse that it hardly mattered at all. I seem to remember there being more sea life with this mod.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

You should have a ring in your inventory that allows you to change various configuration values - adjusting them should create more/less fish and other objects.

Loriel
clocknova

Post by clocknova »

Tried that. I'm still not seeing anything like the mod is supposed to generate. No additional plant life, no water birds, no sea stars or other shore life, no big fish or aquatic mammals. Just a handful of small fish here and there. I even disabled every other mod and texture pack and tried again. I'd like to know what other people are experiencing.