Resource Folders and Case Sensitivity

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
nonbeing

Resource Folders and Case Sensitivity

Post by nonbeing »

I'm currently in the process of setting up mods for the first time, specifically going through each mod folder to ensure that .esp's and resource folders are on the top level. I've noticed that several resource folders are in all lower case (e.g. "fonts" or "textures") whereas the mod installation guide on the wiki and the original "/Morrowind/Data Files" have these with the first letter capitalized ("Fonts", "Textures") Presumably this is because those mod devs were assuming users would be using windows. But it occurred to me that this might be a problem on linux.

Does this mean that us linux users need to go and manually rename each resource folder to match the original capitalization, or have the openmw devs already accounted for this issue?
AnyOldName3

Re: Resource Folders and Case Sensitivity

Post by AnyOldName3 »

OpenMW's mod loading system treats paths as case-insensitive, so you're fine as you are.
i30817

Re: Resource Folders and Case Sensitivity

Post by i30817 »

Just because paths are case insensitive doesn't mean that mod install won't create two versions of the same file instead of overwriting....

Unless openmw wants to get into the same jungle that wrye mash got into and create a 'installer wizard' that you point to a number of zip/rar/7z files with aleatory structure (sometime duplicated 'Data Files' because of optional stuff, sometimes the pluging not in the parent dir of the textures, etc), you'll still end up 'unsure' what's the latest version to load?

Unless you compare timestamps on files with equal lowercase?