NPC Doubling on Mod Upgrade

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Jyby

Re: NPC Doubling on Mod Upgrade

Post by Jyby »

GameEnder wrote:
Jyby wrote:This may be a known issue https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/1956
You think I should submit a bug report?
It's really a toss up. According to scrawl the modified plugin in the old bug report has changed reference ids required by the saved game file.

In such a case it may be possible to recognize the change but highly unlikely... With TR it's even more important we get this right. We definitely would like to avoid either development group to change their product.

I think in terms of impact this is pretty serious. I imagine other players invested in TR might also be greatly impacted by this issue (not calling it a bug, because I believe the engine behaves the way we wanted it to be at the time).

Are you sure you haven't modified the TR add-on besides upgrading it?

Edit: I PM'd scrawl to wheigh in on this.
sjek

Post by sjek »

don't know any better, but this is feature on original CS tied to esp, esm file format ... ?
MiroslavR

Post by MiroslavR »

Jyby wrote:This may be a known issue https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/1956
Yep, it appears to be the same bug. Likely happens in vanilla MW too. Perhaps we can drop references with invalid RefNums while loading savegames, but to do that properly we would have to load and search through all cells, which would be rather slow...

BTW, Tamriel Rebuilt acknowledges updating the mod may cause breakages with existing savegames:
----------------------------
v. Updating Save Games (if using existing save with a previous version of TR):
If you are updating Tamriel Rebuilt, and intend on resuming play using an existing save-game, you must first run the file patcher contained in Tamriel_Data download and then undertake the additional steps outlined here (http://wiki.theassimilationlab.com/mmw/ ... n_of_a_Mod) to resolve any potential errors when using an old save-game on a newer version of Tamriel Rebuilt. Please note, you will need to download and install the Wyre Mash utility to clean and repair your savegame using the method above as well as a Java Runtime Engine to use the file patcher.
These steps are only applicable to vanilla savegames, though. :roll:
GameEnder

Post by GameEnder »

MiroslavR wrote:

BTW, Tamriel Rebuilt acknowledges updating the mod may cause breakages with existing savegames:
v. Updating Save Games (if using existing save with a previous version of TR):
If you are updating Tamriel Rebuilt, and intend on resuming play using an existing save-game, you must first run the file patcher contained in Tamriel_Data download and then undertake the additional steps outlined here (http://wiki.theassimilationlab.com/mmw/ ... n_of_a_Mod) to resolve any potential errors when using an old save-game on a newer version of Tamriel Rebuilt. Please note, you will need to download and install the Wyre Mash utility to clean and repair your savegame using the method above as well as a Java Runtime Engine to use the file patcher.
These steps are only applicable to vanilla savegames, though. :roll:
[/quote]

Yah,if I was using the Vanilla Game I would just use Wyre Bash, I done it before when upgrading versions. But I can't use that on OpenMW saves...
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Topic moved 8-)
GameEnder

Post by GameEnder »

Is there any more thoughts on what I can do to fix the Doubling problem? Or am I better off just downgrading back to the old version of Tamrel Rebuilt?
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

GameEnder wrote:Is there any more thoughts on what I can do to fix the Doubling problem? Or am I better off just downgrading back to the old version of Tamrel Rebuilt?
I think we would need the tools TR describes in their release notes. These tools would clean the saves, removing the dangled references. But those tools aren't compatible with OpenMW saves.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I usually keep a copy of my character from vanilla Morrowind with no mods, i.e. I max out a character to my hearts content and then save him away as a backup. This way I can play mods and not risk something like this...
MiroslavR

Post by MiroslavR »

MiroslavR wrote:Perhaps we can drop references with invalid RefNums while loading savegames, but to do that properly we would have to load and search through all cells, which would be rather slow...
Turns out that won't be necessary after all. I have submitted a possible solution: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1173

This will clean the NPC duplicates, but of course there's no telling what other issues could arise from updating TR...
GameEnder

Post by GameEnder »

MiroslavR wrote:
MiroslavR wrote:Perhaps we can drop references with invalid RefNums while loading savegames, but to do that properly we would have to load and search through all cells, which would be rather slow...
Turns out that won't be necessary after all. I have submitted a possible solution: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1173

This will clean the NPC duplicates, but of course there's no telling what other issues could arise from updating TR...
Would this be in 0.41 or have they they hit release for that, so it would be pushed to the next version?
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

This won't make it into 0.41.0 unfortunately. But perhaps v0.41.1, i.e. maybe we can release a minor version at some point in the near future.

What OS are you running? Perhaps a developer can make a special build for you at some point.