Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
User avatar
lysol
Posts: 1316
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 01:48
Location: Sweden

Re: Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post by lysol » 12 Dec 2016, 22:05

Netchythenetch wrote:Ok, I did that and that's a pic of how it looks like! It worked, thank you very much! not sure about that white columns though...
Also, I have a really low framerate and a huge number of physics, do you guys know what is causing that?
The white columns is probably because of Bethesda's bad unwrapping. You see it a lot more when you have high res textures. If it's not because of the unwrapping, then the author of the textures might have made non-seamless textures. But this is less likely. They could sure use some specularity by the way, but that is for the author to make.

About the physics, see this thread. Scrawl has made some changes recently that has been reported to increase the performance a little bit, but I understood that there's still stuff that could be made better. Try downloading 0.41 as soon as it gets released officially (or just download the RC3 if you want), it should include the fix IIRC.
Normal mapped texture replacers, exclusive for OpenMW:
My Nexus page

User avatar
Netchythenetch
Posts: 41
Joined: 19 Dec 2014, 16:44

Re: Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post by Netchythenetch » 12 Dec 2016, 22:10

lysol wrote:
Netchythenetch wrote:Ok, I did that and that's a pic of how it looks like! It worked, thank you very much! not sure about that white columns though...
Also, I have a really low framerate and a huge number of physics, do you guys know what is causing that?
The white columns is probably because of Bethesda's bad unwrapping. You see it a lot more when you have high res textures. If it's not because of the unwrapping, then the author of the textures might have made non-seamless textures. But this is less likely. They could sure use some specularity by the way, but that is for the author to make.

About the physics, see this thread. Scrawl has made some changes recently that has been reported to increase the performance a little bit, but I understood that there's still stuff that could be made better. Try downloading 0.41 as soon as it gets released officially (or just download the RC3 if you want), it should include the fix IIRC.
Thank you so much! I'm itching to try the new version!
Wibbly Wobbly

User avatar
Amenophis
Posts: 265
Joined: 30 Oct 2011, 04:34
Location: Fortaleza - Ceará - Brasil

Re: Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post by Amenophis » 12 Dec 2016, 22:28

@Netchythenetch I've uploaded three mods at once. All made compatible with OpenMW style. Could you say if the links are working?

Lougian’s Bloodmoon Caverns Bump Mapped 1.0
https://mega.nz/#!9Msz2AJA!PObn0ADozdXn ... 0yd7O3D3mg

Lougian’s Caverns Bump Mapped 1.3
https://mega.nz/#!QJNTwBKI!ZPhzMAoGnGrJ ... JFdiGpXGKk

Tadeus’ On the Rocks All
https://mega.nz/#!JYNTRQaR!8krW6hBJ7YVv ... 7xs6WTKAOo
My fixes and tweaks on vanilla and modded quests for Morrowind.
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43107/?

User avatar
Netchythenetch
Posts: 41
Joined: 19 Dec 2014, 16:44

Re: Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post by Netchythenetch » 13 Dec 2016, 11:00

Sorry, didn't see your reply! Can confirm that the links are working! I can see a bit of a dfference, though those white rocks still look weird to me :D
Attachments
screenshot001.jpg
Wibbly Wobbly

User avatar
Amenophis
Posts: 265
Joined: 30 Oct 2011, 04:34
Location: Fortaleza - Ceará - Brasil

Re: Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post by Amenophis » 13 Dec 2016, 11:07

Could you say what cave is this? I'd like to coc to there.
My fixes and tweaks on vanilla and modded quests for Morrowind.
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43107/?

User avatar
Netchythenetch
Posts: 41
Joined: 19 Dec 2014, 16:44

Re: Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post by Netchythenetch » 13 Dec 2016, 11:19

addamasartus, the very first cave :)
Edit: I'm a complete idiot. I forgot to mention that I'm using Caverns Overhaul, maybe that's the source of the problem?
Wibbly Wobbly

User avatar
lysol
Posts: 1316
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 01:48
Location: Sweden

Re: Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post by lysol » 13 Dec 2016, 12:50

Netchythenetch wrote:Sorry, didn't see your reply! Can confirm that the links are working! I can see a bit of a dfference, though those white rocks still look weird to me :D
Yes, the white rocks didn't have normal maps before it seems. Maybe you did a typo or something.

The thing that still looks weird is, again, the unwrapping. Couldn't find a better example picture than this one. When you apply a texture (a square or rectangular 2D image basically) to a 3D model, you have to try to make the seam of the texture invisible, otherwise you'll end up with a model like the white rocks in your example. Bethesda, when making Morrowind, was very sloppy and lazy when unwrapping their models and therefore a lot of models in Morrowind have bad unwraps like this.

You don't see this very much when the textures are only 256x256 in size (like Morrowind's vanilla textures), but when you apply 1024x1024 or even 2048x2048 textures the the models, you see the bad unwrapping A LOT.
Normal mapped texture replacers, exclusive for OpenMW:
My Nexus page

User avatar
Amenophis
Posts: 265
Joined: 30 Oct 2011, 04:34
Location: Fortaleza - Ceará - Brasil

Re: Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post by Amenophis » 13 Dec 2016, 13:05

I've been using Slartibartfast's Cave Texture Fix v1.1 but I think that don't fix the UV problems. Someone know a mod that do that?
My fixes and tweaks on vanilla and modded quests for Morrowind.
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43107/?

User avatar
Netchythenetch
Posts: 41
Joined: 19 Dec 2014, 16:44

Re: Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post by Netchythenetch » 13 Dec 2016, 17:27

lysol wrote:
Netchythenetch wrote:Sorry, didn't see your reply! Can confirm that the links are working! I can see a bit of a dfference, though those white rocks still look weird to me :D
The thing that still looks weird is, again, the unwrapping. Couldn't find a better example picture than this one. When you apply a texture (a square or rectangular 2D image basically) to a 3D model, you have to try to make the seam of the texture invisible, otherwise you'll end up with a model like the white rocks in your example. Bethesda, when making Morrowind, was very sloppy and lazy when unwrapping their models and therefore a lot of models in Morrowind have bad unwraps like this.

You don't see this very much when the textures are only 256x256 in size (like Morrowind's vanilla textures), but when you apply 1024x1024 or even 2048x2048 textures the the models, you see the bad unwrapping A LOT.
I actually meant the contrast in color between the different types of rocks, but thank you for your explanation!
Wibbly Wobbly

User avatar
lysol
Posts: 1316
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 01:48
Location: Sweden

Re: Can't seem to install Caverns Bump Mapped

Post by lysol » 13 Dec 2016, 20:02

Ah you mean that. Well, I guess that's just how the mod is supposed to look.
Normal mapped texture replacers, exclusive for OpenMW:
My Nexus page

Post Reply