Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Aramithius

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in Ope

Post by Aramithius »

lysol wrote:
Aramithius wrote:Hi, I've tried going through the steps in the tutorial to fix the On the Rocks! textures, and the source texture isn't a _nm.dds file, it's _refl3.dds. Should the blocks still be removed?
I've fixed some of the OTR!-textures before, and I thought I recalled that the files were _nm.dds. If there's like one texture file that is named _refl3.dds then it is probably a specular map. Try renaming it to _spec.dds instead.
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. There were some _nm.dds files, but the source textures in the .nif files referenced _refl.dds files. Wasn't sure if this meant the blocks should still be deleted, but if it's delete regardless then that's what I'll do.
Aramithius

Post by Aramithius »

OK, I've got rid of the NiTextureEffect blocks, as per the tutorial. No effect. I change the name of tad_rock_refl3.dds to tad_rock_spec.dds, and the rocks turn translucent purple. What on earth...?

I also notice that the reference image for which blocks to remove (http://imgur.com/VmQC0WG) has the one on line 10 flagged for removal but not the one for line 5. Is there a difference that means that only one of these needs to be removed, or do we purge all NiSourceTexture references?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Aramithius wrote:OK, I've got rid of the NiTextureEffect blocks, as per the tutorial. No effect. I change the name of tad_rock_refl3.dds to tad_rock_spec.dds, and the rocks turn translucent purple. What on earth...?

I also notice that the reference image for which blocks to remove (http://imgur.com/VmQC0WG) has the one on line 10 flagged for removal but not the one for line 5. Is there a difference that means that only one of these needs to be removed, or do we purge all NiSourceTexture references?
Oh. Line 5 should not be removed because it's the main diffuse texture. It's the one that gives the model the colors basically. :) Line 10 and 11 are the normal map texture + the thing that makes the fake bump map technique work, and they should therefore be removed since OpenMW adds normal maps in a totally different way. If you remove line 5, then you'll get a model with no texture (probably a purple model.

Might it be just so that you removed the diffuse texture for the rock nif file? Because that would explain why you got a purple model. If the model still looks strange with the refl3 texture changed to spec, then I'd suggest to just delete that file instead.
Aramithius

Post by Aramithius »

No joy yet. With the restored _refl3.dds files, I still get shiny rocks. With them changed from _refl3 to _spec, I get purple rocks. Does it need to be spec3 or something?

This is the unaltered structure of most On the Rocks! meshes, and the highlighted section is what I've been removing. I can't see what else in the tutorials I need to do.

If, for some reason the image doesn't work, the URL is http://imgur.com/a/LSWJz.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

What does the actual texture look like? It might be that it is a normal map after all, but with a weird name, for example.
lysol

Post by lysol »

AnyOldName3 wrote:What does the actual texture look like? It might be that it is a normal map after all, but with a weird name, for example.
This.

Could you upload the texture here?

By the way, in the picture you uploaded here, I'd remove rows 5, 6, 9 and 10.
Aramithius

Post by Aramithius »

AnyOldName3 wrote:What does the actual texture look like? It might be that it is a normal map after all, but with a weird name, for example.
Not entirely sure how to do that. It's in the Red Mountain texture pack for the On the Rocks! mod, which was specifically flagged in the guide as needing to be treated (and yet didn't have a specific walkthrough for some reason).
lysol wrote: By the way, in the picture you uploaded here, I'd remove rows 5, 6, 9 and 10.
What the rationale for removing these additional rows? I need to work out what I need to remove for other files too.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Aramithius wrote: What the rationale for removing these additional rows? I need to work out what I need to remove for other files too.
  • 5 is probably an ambient occlusion map (I guess because of the _ao suffix), which is not supported in OpenMW. Therefore this link is unnecessary.
  • 6 is probably the normal map. OpenMW does not load normal maps by looking for them in the nif-file. Instead, it looks for files with the same name as the diffuse texture, but with a _n suffix. Therefore, the link here in the nif-file is unneeded. Remember, you still need the texture to be renamed to (in this case) tx_rm_rock_02_n.dds.
  • 9 is the effect block that makes the model shiny in OpenMW.
  • 10 is, again, probably a specular map. If it is, it is loaded into OpenMW the same way as normal maps, except with a _spec suffix instead. The link to it here within the nif file is then, again, unneeded. By the way, I see now that the specular map has a different name. Try renaming it to tx_rm_rock_02_spec.dds instead.
Basically, you only need to link to the diffuse map(s) in the nif file. Any link to any other texture in the nif file is probably unneeded in OpenMW.
Aramithius

Post by Aramithius »

lysol wrote: [*]6 is probably the normal map. OpenMW does not load normal maps by looking for them in the nif-file. Instead, it looks for files with the same name as the diffuse texture, but with a _n suffix. Therefore, the link here in the nif-file is unneeded. Remember, you still need the texture to be renamed to (in this case) tx_rm_rock_02_n.dds.
This was done beforehand. As far as I can tell, no changes.
lysol wrote: [*]9 is the effect block that makes the model shiny in OpenMW.
[/quote][/quote]
I previously removed this and it had no effect, unless the area right outside Ghostgate doesn't use the Red Mountain set of rocks. This is a file I've previously adjusted to remove unnecessary stuff, and is still showing up shiny. This is a nif file I've adjusted: http://imgur.com/58WjG6h
lysol wrote: [*]10 is, again, probably a specular map. If it is, it is loaded into OpenMW the same way as normal maps, except with a _spec suffix instead. The link to it here within the nif file is then, again, unneeded. By the way, I see now that the specular map has a different name. Try renaming it to tx_rm_rock_02_spec.dds instead.[/list]
Done, doesn't seem to make any difference.
Last edited by Aramithius on 30 Apr 2017, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'll probably be able to make a good guess of what the unknown texture's supposed to do if you attach it here. If you open it yourself and describe what you see, that might be useful, too.