Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
lysol

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in Ope

Post by lysol »

No, I didn't, so thanks. I'll have a look.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Ok, so this tutorial can now be found here on the official OpenMW documentation (direct link). I cleaned it up a lot when putting it there, and I'll update the posts here to match later today.

Having the tutorial on the documentation has the great benefit of being modifiable by anyone with a github account. So if you want to modify or add something, please send a pull request with your suggested changes or additions. Ask me if you have any questions on how to do this.
lysol

Post by lysol »

The official documentation version is a lot more up to date now than the version here on the forums. It's quite hard to update them both without messing things up in the formatting.

To try to speed this process up, I tried to search for a ReST to BBCode-converter. Didn't find anything. The only thing I could find was to convert ReST to HTML and then HTML to BBCode. It messed everything up quite a bit... Sigh. Any suggestions? Removing the first posts here and just provide a link to the documentation instead?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Well obviously the right thing to do is to write your own translator.
lysol

Post by lysol »

AnyOldName3 wrote:Well obviously the right thing to do is to write your own translator.
I would if I could! :lol: Would take me a week of full time coding since I'd have to learn how to do it in the process.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

lysol wrote:The official documentation version is a lot more up to date now than the version here on the forums. It's quite hard to update them both without messing things up in the formatting.
What you can do is just provide a link to your new documentation in your first post and/or delete the older content.
Insidious611

Post by Insidious611 »

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm trying to convert a mod with bump maps that has NIFs, "Bump Mapped AOF's Imperial Housing", but when opening the NIFs in nifskope it doesn't use the NiTextureEffect lines to refer to the normap map texture, instead it uses NiTexturingProperty which has a "Has Bump Map Texture" property set to yes, which then refers to the blah_whatever_nm.dds file. I can remove this by setting "Has Bump Map Texture" to no. Is this what I should be doing?
lysol

Post by lysol »

No problem, you're asking at the right place. :)

Isn't the mod you're trying to convert simply a texture replacer? If so, it only includes nif files because MCP needed it for the normal maps to load. You don't need them, so you can just delete them and then change the name of the normal map texture files. See here for more details: https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/master ... ump-mapped

EDIT: Looked a bit more on the mod in question:

Yes, first download and install AOFs original mod, then download the bump map addon. You should only extract the textures folder from the bump mapped addon, do not extract the meshes folder. After you've done this, you need to edit the names of the normal maps in the textures folder from "_nm.dds" to "_n.dds". This is the only thing you need to do.

Enjoy! :)
Insidious611

Post by Insidious611 »

Okay, that simplifies things, thanks :). I'm always hesitant to get rid of mesh files just in case something *does* use a different mesh and I didn't realize it. :P
Insidious611

Post by Insidious611 »

Came across the same thing (using NiTexturingProperty instead of NiTextureEffect for the bump map textures) in Apel's Asura Coast and Sheogorath Region Retexture, which despite the name, the meshes in question do in fact differ from the ones supplied with Morrowind aside from including the bump map (decided to open my original ones in NifSkope to make sure). So that brings me back to my initial question. Should I simply set the HasBumpMap thing in NiTexturingProperty to no?