UI mods and OpenMW

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Atahualpa

UI mods and OpenMW

Post by Atahualpa »

I've recently tested some of Sir Bob's mods which change the user interface. They all provide new meshes and textures for the various UI elements. While working fine in vanilla Morrowind, the textures won't load in OpenMW. I think this is because of mygui expecting .dds files (as it can be seen in the openmw_windows.skin.xml file in /resources/mygui) whereas the mods use .bmp files instead. Converting them into .dds or .tga format makes OpenMW recognise them but also generates a lot of "code 1" messages in the console -- which is most likely related to Bug #3180: Texture won't load (code 1) with some mods.

Would it be possible to support arbitrary file formats for the UI textures (e.g., .dds, .tga, .bmp) in order to make these mods compatible with OpenMW? Like I said, the original engine seems to have no problem with that.
MiroslavR

Re: UI mods and OpenMW

Post by MiroslavR »

The first mod (haven't checked the others) has different texture filenames (post-fixed with sbdark) than our skin definitions expect. It comes with UI model replacers, where the new texture filenames are specified. The problem is OpenMW does not use those models at all - our skinning system works with textures directly.

Furthermore, a quick test showed that the original engine does not allow file.bmp to replace file.dds, so OpenMW should be fine in this regard.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

You're right. Man, the only thing I didn't check was whether the mods work in vanilla Morrowind without the meshes (and with renamed texture files). So the issue is OpenMW ignoring the meshes and using the textures directly. Okay.

Concluding, the mod will never work with OpenMW -- unless someone converted the files to proper .dds format. Right?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Atahualpa wrote:Concluding, the mod will never work with OpenMW -- unless someone converted the files to proper .dds format. Right?
Depends if there's changes to any of the meshes aside from referencing different texture files (geometry, UV coords, etc). If there are, it may also need changes to the layout or xml resource files to replicate it.