Morrowind Acoustic Overhaul and Atmospheric Sound Effects

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
kuyondo

Morrowind Acoustic Overhaul and Atmospheric Sound Effects

Post by kuyondo »

Has any OpenMW user tried it? Is it compatible? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fV-Y7oeVZA

Tried it back in 2015, it was not working properly.

How about this one? http://mw.modhistory.com/download-76-7148
Deltaxus

Re: Morrowind Acoustic Overhaul and Atmospheric Sound Effects

Post by Deltaxus »

I did not try it out, so I can't tell you if it is compatible. I always consider it a bit unfitting to have godrays on the one side and low res textures and low poly meshes, animations on the other side. That's why I am glad the guys who remake Daggerfall with the Unity engine still use Sprites instead of 3D models for the characters. It simply fits the overall style of the game better.

Edit: Nevermind - opened the wrong tab. This is a sound overhaul which seems quit good.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

MAO works on OpenMW but choose the modular esps because the complete version is dependent of MWSE.
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

Amenophis wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 01:01 MAO works on OpenMW but choose the modular esps because the complete version is dependent of MWSE.
ahh.. yes i remember now.
Logitech

Post by Logitech »

There are plans for OpenMW version of MAO once there is a feature parity with Morrowind+MWSE. Not necessary by implementing MWSE functions since those are often hacky workarounds but native scripting extension that will allow to handle following tasks:
- a way to check if particular reference is CRE or NPC (xRefType equivalent)
- looping through active references in a cell in order to attach directed scripts (xFirstNPC, xNextRef, xSetRef)
- checking reference names (xGetBaseID, xStringMatch)
- checking Player's target (xGetPCTarget)

This would be enough for identical version of MAO on OpenMW. Considering the engine is open and there are plans for extending scripting language the mod could be also improved further with following features implemented:
- a way to start targeted scripts without need to make them unique (in Morrowind you need a copy of a script with different name in order to target it on more than 1 reference, so there is a wonky situation with 20 scripts that looks exactly the same but use different names and dummy items in use to check if particular reference has any of the available scripts running)
- reliable way to detect combat via simple function
- function that checks if Music is currently playing (so we can get rid of timers that makes modifying the tracklist a headache)
- hopefully there will be easier way to randomize sounds rather than using GetSoundPlaying and stopping it (or using dummy silent sound). After "great unhardcoding" takes place I hope that everything related to default sounds will be handled by scripts and it will be a matter of modifying those rather than making workarounds for default implementation.
- overall moving things to scripts will make the life easier (I don’t see why OpenMW should opt to always automatically assign music based on what’s available in Music directory rather than handle it via script)
- compiling scripts on the fly and keeping them as plain text would make adjusting stuff for users a lot easier
- currently the mod uses randomly played short tracks for ambient music which is quite antique approach. Hopefully the engine will allow us to implement ambient music the way Skyrim does at some point (layered exploration music, pausing the ambient music during combat rather than starting it from the beginning etc.).
SchvanysEpitome

Post by SchvanysEpitome »

In case anyone was wondering about MAO:
Chris wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 10:17 The base mod is here: http://download.fliggerty.com/download-76-1045
The actual sounds (and music, but the music module doesn't work) are here: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BwFTwfOo ... t=download
dgmulf

Post by dgmulf »

I've gotten numerous sound mods working flawlessly with my setup (Better Sounds and Expanded Sounds [separately]), but MAO crashes OpenMW 0.43.0 for me. I use "exterior cell load distance = 2", and if I reduce it to 1, the crashes disappear, but this isn't a worthwhile tradeoff for me. Investigating openmw.log reveals the line "No free sources!". Has anyone found a solution to this issue yet?
Chris

Post by Chris »

dgmulf wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 00:12 I've gotten numerous sound mods working flawlessly with my setup (Better Sounds and Expanded Sounds [separately]), but MAO crashes OpenMW 0.43.0 for me. I use "exterior cell load distance = 2", and if I reduce it to 1, the crashes disappear, but this isn't a worthwhile tradeoff for me.
Increasing the exterior cell load distance is done at your own risk. There are a number of issues that can crop up because of it (from performance problems to game stability). If you want a farther view distance the right way, leave the exterior cell load distance at 1 and enable distant terrain.

In this particular case, the "No free sources!" message shouldn't be related to the crash, it's just saying that it couldn't play a sound that was trying to play because there's already too many sound sources simultaneously playing. Can you provide a crash log?
dgmulf

Post by dgmulf »

Chris wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 01:26
dgmulf wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 00:12 I've gotten numerous sound mods working flawlessly with my setup (Better Sounds and Expanded Sounds [separately]), but MAO crashes OpenMW 0.43.0 for me. I use "exterior cell load distance = 2", and if I reduce it to 1, the crashes disappear, but this isn't a worthwhile tradeoff for me.
Increasing the exterior cell load distance is done at your own risk. There are a number of issues that can crop up because of it (from performance problems to game stability). If you want a farther view distance the right way, leave the exterior cell load distance at 1 and enable distant terrain.

In this particular case, the "No free sources!" message shouldn't be related to the crash, it's just saying that it couldn't play a sound that was trying to play because there's already too many sound sources simultaneously playing. Can you provide a crash log?
Thanks for the reply, Chris. Is there a possibility that increasing the exterior cell load distance will corrupt my savegame? Here's the log from a crash shortly after loading a save in Balmora with MAO enabled and exterior cell load distance = 2:
MAO crash.log
(14.47 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
I don't think there is any indication in the log of the error that leads to the crash, because it looks very similar to a successful run, minus the "Quitting peacefully" line at the end.
Chris

Post by Chris »

dgmulf wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 22:47 Thanks for the reply, Chris. Is there a possibility that increasing the exterior cell load distance will corrupt my savegame?
I don't think it'll corrupt the savegame, per-se, but it can possibly have undesirable effects on the game as a result of AI being processed in farther away cells than is expected, without you realizing it until much later, and having bad states persist in the save game.
Here's the log from a crash shortly after loading a save in Balmora with MAO enabled and exterior cell load distance = 2
I was hoping for an actual crash.log that contains a backtrace for the crash, but it looks like you're on Windows where it apparently doesn't produce one.

Since it seems you have several mods installed, have you tried disabling various mods to see which ones exactly may be causing it?