Little Boxes

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Necrod

Little Boxes

Post by Necrod »

There are already bunch of mobile devices with hardware capable of running Morrowind. By the time OpenMW is 1.0 and beyond. There will be even more

As OpenMW is being developed for Linux as well, and Android is basically a Linux. Would it be much hassle making it run on Android phones and tablets. After all one of OpenMW goals is making Morrowind run on multiple platforms.

Would that even be legal? How about iOS? Your thoughts? (Probably crossed your mind thought, or even you talked about it)
sirherrbatka

Re: Little Boxes

Post by sirherrbatka »

This was discussed already. Would need new interface and vastly better performance than the current. Impossible in any acceptable time.
Rezor

Post by Rezor »

but in the future someone can use the openMW engine and make some kind PocketOpenOblivion, PocketOpenSkyrim or sth for example :P
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Why can't we start with pocketMorrowind?

Anyway, the problem: it's a very large (H U G E) task that we are not able to even start.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Probably it will run as slideshow speed, but a Linux based phone probably can run OpenMW already... doesn't it? Or there are problem compiling for the ARM?

I remember seeing pics of the Freerunner running Starcraft.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

In theory it is possible but I don't know if anybody tried.

The performance... uh xD I don't think that it will be playable + small display will make impossible to use gui.
I remember seeing pics of the Freerunner running Starcraft.
It's interesting since it means it was x86 on arm emulation.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

I don't know about OpenMW but recommended processing power for Morrowind was 800 mhz, and 1GHz is nowadays pretty much low-end standard for smartphones. Samsung Galaxy S III for example has quad core 1.4 GHz processor.

I assume it will take about year and a half or less to get OpenMW 1.0, and then by the time such port is made. it should be normal to have a phone good enough to run OpenMW.
And about the controls, that shouldn't be much of a problem, dual analog is ok. Except GUI would have to be completely re-done, maybe even not that. It would just take separate screens to show inventory, map, character info, and spells window. I'm sure someone will start that task once OpenMW 1.0 is brought to the crowd.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

The problem with speed is that 1GHz ARM is not the same as 1GHz x86/x64. Also of note is that all embedded systems don't use OpenGL, they use OpenGL ES which doesn't have the same feature set as normal OpenGL (At least I don't think so).
I am aware of the fact that Ogre has an OpenGL ES renderer, but OpenMW uses shaders that might not work on embedded systems.

All in all, getting OpenMW to run on an embedded system would probably take an ungodly amount of optimization and time. Something that I think everybody here would rather spend on getting OpenMW to run better on it's main platforms; desktops and laptops.