A tale of two MP mods - openMW/TES3MP and Skyrim Together

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Ravenwing

Re: A tale of two MP mods - openMW/TES3MP and Skyrim Together

Post by Ravenwing »

I tried to tell DassiD as much in a series of PMs but he still preferred his idea of having it all be part of a single project.

At first I wasn’t a fan of using the Skyrim drama as a way of gaining more support, but Jesus, what a shit show. I had not realized the extent of it.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Ravenwing wrote: 08 Mar 2019, 21:16 I tried to tell DassiD as much in a series of PMs but he still preferred his idea of having it all be part of a single project.
Ideally, that is what we're aiming at. Just like tes3mp is a fork that will eventually be merged in, the others forks would be as well. DessiD just assumed that OpenMW development goal was only Morrowind. Yes and No, we needed a focal point. Zini's was the fact that he couldn't use Morrowind.exe anymore for his total conversion mod, so it made sense to work on OpenMW to further his goal.

This allows OpenMW to act as a framework, touchstone, that people fork off to do their own thing that eventually get merged back in. It is something we want to encourage.

Look at how github and gitlab work, you FORK OpenMW, then you create merge requests. Some forks are just longer lived than others. Nothing wrong with that. Some things need to sit in the oven longer than others, but the smells are great. :D
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

Ravenwing wrote: 08 Mar 2019, 21:16 At first I wasn’t a fan of using the Skyrim drama as a way of gaining more support, but Jesus, what a shit show. I had not realized the extent of it.
I see it as a bit of a strategic opportunity. I mean, what's the worst that can happen?

People refusing to help? That's not any worse than not reaching out to them, and at least it puts OpenMW on the map for people who were previously dismissing its importance.

Embarrassing OpenMW by making people think it will support other existing games someday before it turns out that it never does? Well, we make it perfectly clear that it's not up to the core OpenMW team to do anything about other games, and that anything in that direction is entirely contingent on an influx of new contributors.

An ambitious fork focused on recreating another game's mechanics coming into being and then going its own way for whatever reason? Well, it'll still be under the GPLv3, meaning OpenMW can cherrypick whatever it wants from it, which is significantly more useful than people deciding to recreate one of the games in Unity or Unreal.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Well, it'll still be under the GPLv3, meaning OpenMW can cherrypick whatever it wants from it
Not everyone's work is tidy enough to cherry pick. If they go full-on Let's squash all commits between each release so we're technically following the GPL because the source is available but it's a barrel full of arse to do anything with it it gets harder.
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 01:02
Well, it'll still be under the GPLv3, meaning OpenMW can cherrypick whatever it wants from it
Not everyone's work is tidy enough to cherry pick. If they go full-on Let's squash all commits between each release so we're technically following the GPL because the source is available but it's a barrel full of arse to do anything with it it gets harder.
You don't necessarily need to cherrypick specific commits though. You can just cherrypick whatever bits and pieces you like.

The GPLv3 doesn't allow someone to obfuscate the code, so it can't really be much harder than looking through the OpenMW code and making sense of it without knowing the history.

It's not too bad for a worst case scenario, is it?