Grass support

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
C3pa

Grass support

Post by C3pa »

I would like to see grass (properly) implemented in OpenMW. I have come across this: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45464
But it' s actually Vurt's Grundcover without collision. Problem with that is the fps drop. There has been some talk on this forum about the grass and that it could be implemented without significant performance loss.

I think that these days more and more people play Morrowind with some kind of grass mod. So, for the most of them, Morrowind + MCP + MGE/MGE XE is a go to. They don' t want to give up their grass to play something called OpenMW, without grass.

In my opinion, it would draw much more attention to OpenMW considering that it also has better shaders and distant land (some of the main MGE XE functions, besides grass)
wareya

Re: Grass support

Post by wareya »

Related:

Most games using the Source Engine handles terrain grass using its "detail sprite" feature, where displacements (basically in-level-editor meshes based on subdivided quads, with support for vertex-weighted texture blending) can procedurally spawn models or pillarboard sprites of ground details like grass or shrubbery without the level designer needing to explicitly place anything anywhere. Those sprites/models are defined in the material files, which are the only way for the level editor to access a texture for applying to brushes (normal in-editor geometry, typically for architectural details that don't need much irregularity, like walls and scaffolding).

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Detail_props
C3pa

Post by C3pa »

I would like to see such a feature in future OpenMW versions.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

See this thread for more discussion.