A kind of crazy idea

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
ArashiAganawa

Re: A kind of crazy idea

Post by ArashiAganawa »

MKM wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 20:42 Red Mountain is a volcano with large caldera. It cannot be too high. At least within Earth geological logic.

BTW what's the highest point of vanilla Morrowind?
Given that there are some rather tall volcanoes in the world, going a bit bigger wouldn't be a bad idea. I believe that Red Mountain is indeed the tallest point in Morrowind to boot, so giving it a bit more vertical height doesn't seem like too much of an issue. I understand where you're coming from though. Given that Vvardenfell (and more importantly Red Mountain being it's center and all) is the highest point on Tamriel, I think giving it more vertical value would be a fun, if not interesting idea. I say this because I remember how the journey to the throat of the world was, and I think that a mod that does something similar in Morrowind for Red Mountain would be interesting. Imagine a difficult journey, hindered by the winds (someone could make levitation and massive jump spells super dangerous or something) and the difficult terrain. An epic saga in it's own right that will tax even the most prepared player to their limit... that's just me though.

Out of curiosity, do you know a lot about geological stuff in general? Just curious is all. I've always been fascinated by such things, even though I've never put the time into study them.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

There are different types of volcanoes. Red Mountain indeed looks like one with a caldera, which is a huge crater that forms when the magma chamber of a volcano collapses. Then, the ground above it is not supported anymore and just drops into the emerging hole.
Given that before the collapse, the mountain peak is often right above the then forming crater, a caldera-producing eruption can raze a mountain, shaving off a huge portion of its elevation.
So yeah, Red Mountain shouldn't really be the highest point in Tamriel - or should have just a small opening at the top rather than a huge crater.
Husaco

Post by Husaco »

DecumusScotti wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 11:11 So yeah, Red Mountain shouldn't really be the highest point in Tamriel - or should have just a small opening at the top rather than a huge crater.
Judging by its depictions elsewhere, it seems Bethesda would agree with the latter.

I always found Red Mountain rather underwhelming in Vanilla— more rolling hills than Mt Doom. There's already at least one mod to make it look more imposing, but there's only so much you can do within the original height constraints.
lysol

Post by lysol »

ArashiAganawa

Post by ArashiAganawa »

Seems like making the mountain taller is a good idea. That begs the question, will OpenMW be able to handle this and do it via the editor?
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

Pardon me for off-off-topic, but i've got some idea-related ideas, useful perhaps, if/when it ever shall be realized.
I've noticed in the lore long time ago, and i bet not just me, strong impact of sumerian-akkadian mythology and language (obvious example: every daedric shrine with assur in it's name). So if to extend map/TR and to add more of such places, we know where to look.
Now for Telvanni. That's rather simple and fun as it is — that's hebrew/yiddish and culture respectively.
samitn

Post by samitn »

Most local details would have to be procedurally generated according to a fixed seed, just like daggerfall.
Nomuk

Post by Nomuk »

I found a problem working with heghtmaps (besides many other) - OpenMW launcher just didn't see the ESP plugin with size bigger than 2GB...
Btw, any progress?

Vvardenfell x8:

Balmora x8 with 1.4 height:
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

I don't think I've posted about this experimental tool I made for OpenMW-CS, but it's basically a tool for doing land scaling.
https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/2196
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

unelsson wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 10:04 I don't think I've posted about this experimental tool I made for OpenMW-CS, but it's basically a tool for doing land scaling.
https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/2196
Took a quick look at the github page, and this looks like a useful add-on. Always good to have more tools for editing

ST the editor