Help with the function "payfine" and stolen markers

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Kloppix

Help with the function "payfine" and stolen markers

Post by Kloppix »

Sometimes you have to use the function “payfine” several times until all your items are UNmarked as stolen. For example following scenario:

You use an empty house (but marked with an owner) for a while. You use one of the crates to store your arrows. Let say at some point (using TFH) all iron arrows have the mark: Stolen 2000 from Joe.

If you use PAYFINE, and only have 100 arrows in your inventory, TFH will show “Stolen 1900 from Joe” when you pick up the arrows from the evidence chest (because 2000-100). That means you’ll have to use PAYFINE 19 times again. This is very anoying, specially when you are using an owned container to store ingredients in order to make potions. At the end you have thousands of stolen ingredients, but you use to carry a only few.

I don’t know if this is a vanilla Morrowind behaviour, an OpenMW bug or an OpenMW feature.
akortunov

Re: Help with the function "payfine" and stolen markers

Post by akortunov »

Kloppix wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 15:29 If you use PAYFINE, and only have 100 arrows in your inventory, TFH will show “Stolen 1900 from Joe” when you pick up the arrows from the evidence chest (because 2000-100).
So you stole 2000 arrows, 100 of them were confiscated, 1900 were not found yet by guards and considered as stolen. What's the problem?
Do not use owned containers to store items.
Kloppix

Post by Kloppix »

I just wanted to know how works Payfine and if this is the vanilla behaviour. I’m trying to create a mod where is important to handle stolen items.

In Morrowind when you steal something it “contaminates” every item with the same ID. I just read (here->https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Bugs) OpenMW keeps individual tracks. Which is great.

But what happens in vanilla Morrowind when you use payfine? Are all stolen items unmarked? I don’t find this anywhere and for some reason I cannot launch vanilla Morrowind ( tried already with Wine and with a virtual machine ).
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Kloppix wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 20:24 But what happens in vanilla Morrowind when you use payfine? Are all stolen items unmarked? I don’t find this anywhere and for some reason I cannot launch vanilla Morrowind ( tried already with Wine and with a virtual machine ).
IIRC, all stolen items will remain marked. Even more, if you steal one item, guards can confiscate the whole stack.
Kloppix

Post by Kloppix »

Damn. That means the mod will only work with OpenMW. Thank you, Akortunov!!

Now I have to figure out a container workaround. In Morrowind is pretty common to take an unused house, and therefore, use the containers inside. For example the house of Dura Gra-Bol in Balmora. Of course, you will not trade with a dead NPC, so is not so bad, but that also means loosing a lot of stuff every time the payfine function is used.

It would be great if OpenMW deletes the ownership from an item when the owner is dead. It makes sense, actually.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

It would be great if OpenMW deletes the ownership from an item when the owner is dead.
That's already a thing in 0.44.0.
Kloppix

Post by Kloppix »

Capostrophic wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 21:12
It would be great if OpenMW deletes the ownership from an item when the owner is dead.
That's already a thing in 0.44.0.
Dude, that’s great! It’s funny because I’m using 0.44 and I didn’t knew. I started my main character with version 0.41 (maybe older) and I didn’t understand how only this character had items marked as stolen from a container from Vorar Helas.