Modding-OpenMW.com -- mod categories/tagging

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
ModdingOpenMWdotcom

Modding-OpenMW.com -- mod categories/tagging

Post by ModdingOpenMWdotcom »

I'd like to solicit some feedback about the current category/tag scheme I've got on the website. There are currently two major problems that I see or others have pointed out:

1. The tags in particular are really subjective. I did struggle with what tags should go on what mods, what I have now can certainly use some improvement.
2. Categories and tags are doing pretty much the same thing, and I've been questioning the value of using both.

Some folks have expressed a specific desire to slim down the "essentials" tag to what is actually considered essential -- and I think this is a good place to start. So tell me: what do you think are totally essential mods (whether they are already listed on the site or not.)

One my goals for the next update is to tweak the "essentials" tag to be a smaller selection, while moving some of what's in there now to another tag (maybe "expanded vanilla" or something like that.)

-M'aiq The Admin
klorax

Re: Modding-OpenMW.com -- mod categories/tagging

Post by klorax »

ModdingOpenMWdotcom wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 15:35 I'd like to solicit some feedback about the current category/tag scheme I've got on the website. There are currently two major problems that I see or others have pointed out:

1. The tags in particular are really subjective. I did struggle with what tags should go on what mods, what I have now can certainly use some improvement.
2. Categories and tags are doing pretty much the same thing, and I've been questioning the value of using both.

Some folks have expressed a specific desire to slim down the "essentials" tag to what is actually considered essential -- and I think this is a good place to start. So tell me: what do you think are totally essential mods (whether they are already listed on the site or not.)

One my goals for the next update is to tweak the "essentials" tag to be a smaller selection, while moving some of what's in there now to another tag (maybe "expanded vanilla" or something like that.)

-M'aiq The Admin
Thanks for the site, it is a nice contribution! :)

1. It seems to me that "essential" is the only subjective one.

2. Usually categories (like folders or directories) are mutually exclusive when you also have tags involved. It is fine just to have the inclusive version and call them categories (or tags if you want, like they usually are). I do not think you need both either, but see the comment below. One common type of mod is those that contain both armor and weapons, they should show up in both tags (or categories).

I would like to add a small comment about something that struck me the first times I visited the site: it was a bit cluttered. All these categories and tags are all presented at once and they all look the same. I would prefer if there where "top" categories that can be expanded to find these sub categories/tags below.

Sounds great to have a smaller essential category, perhaps containing what could be considered fixes, patches, and possible the official mods.
Mistahtokyo

Re: Modding-OpenMW.com -- mod categories/tagging

Post by Mistahtokyo »

I would take a look at how The Nexus organizes mods. While a direct copy isn't necessary, I do think they handle things well. Also a downloads, endorsements, views, date uploaded. etc. tracker and ways to sort by those would be useful.