List of (other) FOSS game engine replacement projects

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
AnyOldName3

Re: List of (other) FOSS game engine replacement projects

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm not sure how FOSS that is - using Unity restricts what licence your work can be under, and even if you do use an open licence, Unity itself isn't FOSS.
Rovlad

Post by Rovlad »

Frankly, I'll take what's almost 100% feature complete and is already fully playable over ideologies any day. :lol:
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Rovlad wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 18:04 Frankly, I'll take what's almost 100% feature complete and is already fully playable over ideologies any day. :lol:
Two things here:
1) DFUnity code is licensed under MIT/Expat, one of the most liberal licenses out there. [1] So technically, the project is FOSS.
2) DFUnity middle-ware is Unity, which isn't FOSS so you're the mercy Unity. I don't see this as a problem right now, but potentially a problem in the future if the company ever goes bankrupt or changes the licenses further or drops Linux and/or MacOS support.

[1] https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfall-unity

Frankly, Rovlad's statement misses the point. Morrowind is also 100% feature complete and is already fully playable, so you don't need OpenMW and it's ideologies either. ;)
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

There's OpenRA, an engine recreation for the early Command & Conquer games: Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, Dune 2000 (uses the same engine, but not a C&C game), and work in progress on Tiberian Sun. It's quite far along in development.

And there's one of the earlier successes with engine replacements: Exult for Ultima VII.
lysol

Post by lysol »

That's right, forgot about openRA. Thanks!
raevol

Post by raevol »

Did gemrb get mentioned yet? Reimplementation of the Infinity Engine, used for Baldur's Gate, among others?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

@lysol: Are you going to add Daggerfall-Unity? :D
lysol

Post by lysol »

Greendogo wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 09:33 @lysol: Are you going to add Daggerfall-Unity? :D
Might add it with a smaller font. ;)
raevol wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 07:37 Did gemrb get mentioned yet? Reimplementation of the Infinity Engine, used for Baldur's Gate, among others?
How did I miss this? Nearly feature complete it says even. Awesome! I've been planning to play Baldur's Gate for years now.
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

I wouldn't mind DFUnity so much, if it weren't for the fact that it's incredibly unoptimized due to using Unity as a base.

Otherwise, while it's rather unorthodox to use Unity as the base to FOSS code, it's getting the job done quite well -- as I said, I'm not a fan of Unity, but still, it's come quite far, and Interkarma & Co. is closing the gap quite fast. Just at the start of this year, DFUnity was just finishing the features for 0.4 on the roadmap, and since then, has implemented most of 0.5, 0.6, and 0.7, as well as a few items for 0.8 and 0.9. If they keep working at this rate (which I know is hard to estimate, because FOSS and shit), DFUnity will be feature-complete by sometime next year, and that's all I will care about because I want to be able to play-through and beat DF without all the gamebreaking bugs, because otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy playing the vanilla game.

While not ideal, nor even efficient, should anything happen, all the logic implemented in DFUnity's code can be repurposed, either in another engine such as Godot, or in a lower level project.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Post updated! Still have a few to go through and add, will do when I have time for it. Remind me if I forget... :roll: