List of (other) FOSS game engine replacement projects

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Thunderforge

Re: List of (other) FOSS game engine replacement projects

Post by Thunderforge »

ScummVM and its sister project ResidualVM should certainly be added to the list, as they are both FOSS game engine recreations, primarily for the SCUMM and GrimE engines, but including others as well. Also OpenKeeper for Dungeon Keeper II (and as a side note, it's the only active game engine recreation I've seen that is written in Java, so all you Java devs, take a look at this one!).

Not sure if Aleph One (for the Marathon trilogy of games) counts for this list, since it's an open-source continuation of the original source code that was released. Same with OpenJK, which was the original game engine code that was released as open source and then expanded upon.
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

psi29a wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 09:52 Please don't paint us with your brush, you're doing us a great disservice and we can speak for ourselves.

I for one, love DFUnity and talk with Interkarma regularly. There are others here who have worked on OpenMW that also commit/contribute to DFUnity.
Noted. Forgive me, my love and desire to play DF sometimes clouds my judgement of others' criticisms towards DFUnity. I love all the work done for the TES games, <= 3, and do not wish to cause any malice between projects.
Last edited by Dyskos on 19 Sep 2018, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Post by Chris »

drakovyrn wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 06:16 Forgive me, my love and desire to play DF sometimes clouds my judgement of others' criticisms towards DFUnity's general success as a recreation.
No one's criticizing DFUnity's success (in this thread, at least). Just because some don't classify it as a FOSS game engine replacement, due to being built on the non-FOSS Unity engine, doesn't mean it's unworthy of success. But like if someone asks for Linux-native games, you wouldn't tell them Witcher 3 (which is Windows-native), if someone asks for FOSS game engines, you wouldn't tell them DFUnity (which is Unity-native). Doesn't mean either of them are bad, it's just not what they're asking for.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

drakovyrn wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 06:16 and would not hope to cause any malice between projects where there is none.
Or just not cause malice. ;)

As Chris noted above, just because a portion of the code is FOSS does not make the 'whole project' FOSS. Interkarma has done an incredible amount of research and work. His choice of using Unity is pragmatic and understandable, Unity is pretty slick, it takes care of a lot of nasty details so he and others can focus purely on getting DFUnity where it is today.

To be fair, there is a lot of misunderstanding. Technically the code is MIT, that's FOSS. But when you compile everything up, even if there is one lib that isn't FOSS then the end result is also not FOSS. It doesn't change the fact that DFUnity is 'free' as in beer. :)
LordInsane

Post by LordInsane »

Speaking of border-line open source projects, the OpenCK project seems like it could be a relevant thing to look at for OpenMW even if it isn't a game engine replacement project (FOSS I'm far less certain where lines are drawn) - at least for OpenMW-CS.
lysol

Post by lysol »

I've been away for a week, but I'll try to update the thread later. What do you guys think, should I use gitlab so that other's can contribute too?
austen1000

Post by austen1000 »

There is TiaraCE for the original Halo. It aims to allow expanded modding capabilities, including full legacy Custom Edition map support, be it maps built with the original tool set alone, maps made with engine enhancements, or third-party tools. They also plan to support all the features present in various third-party extensions for Custom Edition. As of now, they have a discord server, but development is behind closed doors for the time being in a separate server from the one publicly accessible, due to people trolling the devs (well, one of them, at least). They will recruit people they see fit. The biggest issue is that people don't fully grasp what they are doing, as Halo does not have as strong a modding community. I'm not sure if I should post an invite to their public discord or not.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Halo has a big enough modding community that they managed to grab the coveted Open Sauce project name for their version of MGE XE.
austen1000

Post by austen1000 »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 03:44 Halo has a big enough modding community that they managed to grab the coveted Open Sauce project name for their version of MGE XE.
Open Sauce is conveted name? I always thought kornman picked that name randomly, or is this sarcasm flying over my head?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

There can be only one project with a name which is a pun on open source (unless there are other potential puns I've not thought of), so I imagine lots of new projects at least considered it before seeing it had already been used.