List of (other) FOSS game engine replacement projects

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Naugrim

Re: List of (other) FOSS game engine replacement projects

Post by Naugrim »

I got a site working with sortable elements -> https://abelsromero.gitlab.io/foss-game ... /projects/
99% the site is still the demo and some dirty tests, but could be a beginning.

The data is stored as YAML (also supported toml, json) https://gitlab.com/abelsromero/foss-gam ... ojects.yml, and on every merge the site is updated automatically.

wdyt?
klorax

Post by klorax »

Naugrim wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 22:13 I got a site working with sortable elements -> https://abelsromero.gitlab.io/foss-game ... /projects/
99% the site is still the demo and some dirty tests, but could be a beginning.

The data is stored as YAML (also supported toml, json) https://gitlab.com/abelsromero/foss-gam ... ojects.yml, and on every merge the site is updated automatically.

wdyt?
Looks great! ;)
lysol

Post by lysol »

Perfect naugrim! That is the system we'll go with imo
LordInsane

Post by LordInsane »

Where would one best comment if some of the descriptions seem off? The one that stood out to me was gemrb, it could use specifying that it is fully playable with some but not all of the games it lists (PST is "roughly completeable", which reading further looks like there's major issues but not ones that actually necessarily stops going from beginning to end of the game), IWD2 is playable for the first few chapters and then is not).
Last edited by LordInsane on 15 Sep 2018, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Thanks. I'll update the post later. But the goal is to use gitlab in the future so that everyone can update.
afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

Adding onto what psi29a said a few pages ago about Daggerfall Unity, if anyone would like to see Interkarma's perspective on it not being 100% FOSS, read his comment on this issue: https://github.com/Mindwerks/XLEngine/i ... -381367415

Particularly this quote:
Interkarma wrote:As an aside, it's no accident that my modern hobby projects like Daggerfall Unity are able to make such deep and substantial progress. It's because I've literally been at this longer and harder than anybody else in the scene. I've also been extremely sharing of all of my code from the very beginning so that others like Lucius could benefit from it. But you can probably understand the deep irony I experience when people criticise my recent work as "not truly open source" because of the dependence on a proprietary game engine (Unity), while at the same time praising DaggerXL which up until recently was not only closed source, it was in fact accelerated thanks to several years of my own hard work and open sharing of source code.
I don't mean to derail this thread to be about Unity. I just thought it was important for people to know that Interkarma has done a lot of FOSS work in the past (in the Elder Scrolls domain, for example), so he should get some slack for his decision to use Unity on his current project.
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

afritz1 wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 21:40 I don't mean to derail this thread to be about Unity. I just thought it was important for people to know that Interkarma has done a lot of FOSS work in the past (in the Elder Scrolls domain, for example), so he should get some slack for his decision to use Unity on his current project.
This is basically my sentiment. As I said in my last comment, if people really want DF to not use Unity, then they can always use Interkarma's code as a guide to make an engine not dependent on it. So far, no one has bothered to do so at any serious depth.

By the way, @afritz1, will there be another release of opentesarena sometime soon? I know progress is slow-going, but I like seeing new builds anyway, even if not much has changed. :P
Last edited by Dyskos on 18 Sep 2018, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Post by Chris »

drakovyrn wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 01:56 And I get that work has been put into opendf, and I'm not trying to discredit, nor flame anyone's project, but I feel like the only reason opendf takes precedence over DFUnity here is due to contributor affiliation... basically, politics.
Here as in this thread, or in general? If you mean this thread, then the reason is simple: it's a list of FOSS engines (made as replacements to proprietary engines), and the DF Unity engine is not FOSS because the Unity engine is not FOSS. Parts of DF Unity may be FOSS, but since it ultimately depends on a proprietary engine itself, the result isn't. Doesn't mean it's not worth checking out, and I'm certainly not belittling the work Interkarma has done, but the project doesn't technically belong in a FOSS engine list since the core engine (Unity) isn't FOSS.
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

Chris wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 03:52 Here as in this thread, or in general?
I meant in general. opendf has been mentioned a few other times in previous posts, and that's honestly the only reason I know it exists.

Still, yes, Unity isn't Open Source. I don't even like it as an engine in general. Nonetheless, Open Source is about Open Source, and no matter what happens to Unity (lost support, deprecation, etc.), the source code and logic contained in the DFUnity project will still be openly available to any who wishes to port the logic to another (open) engine (such as Godot), or to more in-depth methods of implementation.

As previously mentioned, LuciusDXL used some of Interkarma's work to do just that, and it can happen again, if necessary.

Hell, for as much as I love DF, when I finish teaching myself C and C++, I may even assist in that endeavor.
afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

drakovyrn wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 01:56 By the way, @afritz1, will there be another release of opentesarena sometime soon? I know progress is slow-going, but I like seeing new builds anyway, even if not much has changed. :P
Currently trying to finish up one last thing for 0.8.0, hopefully releasing either this weekend or next weekend :)