Recommendation: New normal mapped texture pack for OpenMW released

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lysol

Recommendation: New normal mapped texture pack for OpenMW released

Post by lysol »

Just wanted to recommend this newly released texture pack:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45813

VanillaPlus, as it is called, is not super high res, but very vanilla friendly. The imperial textures stand out a bit from the rest of the pack, having more details, and I like those. The ground textures look great, and they make this pack a good foundation for a modded vanilla like game.
Starsheep

Re: Recommendation: New normal mapped texture pack for OpenMW released

Post by Starsheep »

yeaah finally someone who understands that an underpant texture doesn't need to be 4k wide :lol:
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you've got a decent texture loading system, you'll only end up loading the lower mip levels for the underpants until you get your head right up close to someone's crotch and need the extra quality, so performance shouldn't suffer. I'm not sure that we do that yet, though.
lysol

Post by lysol »

A few issues, it seems:

- Someone said they have no mip-maps. Bad.
- Same person said they are saved in dxt5 even when they have no alpha. Also bad.
- The normal maps are saved with a _nrm suffix. OpenMW uses _n as default. Can be changed of course (either the suffix setting or the names of the files) but a bit annoying.

I'll play some more with them later. But they look very promising.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Looks like the mod author is aware of these issues (partially thanks to you, Starsheep, if I'm not mistaken). We'll just have to wait for an updated version.

Anyway, most of these textures look very nice indeed. :)
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

I had a couple of spare minutes yesterday to try this out. I had high expectations but it didn't turn out to be as amazing as I'd hoped. I highly approve of all the terrain retextures that I came across, but some of the other textures are jarringly out of place. Specifically the stone walls (I came across them in Caldera, but they're all over the place) are photorealistic, while most of the other textures still look hand painted. I will still be watching these with interest as I believe it shows a lot of promise.

Side note, anyone know if the mod author is the same Nico who started OpenMW?

Edit: Had a thought. Lysol, are you still working on your textures? Perhaps you and this guy could team up as I feel like you both have a similar philosophy on how textures should be done in Morrowind.
Starsheep

Post by Starsheep »

Atahualpa wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 19:38 Looks like the mod author is aware of these issues (partially thanks to you, Starsheep, if I'm not mistaken).
Yeah I was glad to see the author was welcoming the suggestions.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Ravenwing wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 23:45 I had a couple of spare minutes yesterday to try this out. I had high expectations but it didn't turn out to be as amazing as I'd hoped. I highly approve of all the terrain retextures that I came across, but some of the other textures are jarringly out of place. Specifically the stone walls (I came across them in Caldera, but they're all over the place) are photorealistic, while most of the other textures still look hand painted. I will still be watching these with interest as I believe it shows a lot of promise.

Side note, anyone know if the mod author is the same Nico who started OpenMW?

Edit: Had a thought. Lysol, are you still working on your textures? Perhaps you and this guy could team up as I feel like you both have a similar philosophy on how textures should be done in Morrowind.
Yes, I agree that the imperial stone wall texture, while looking sweet, is a bit mismatched with the rest of the set. It's hard to make detailed, photorealistic and high res textures and still make them look like vanilla in style. That was my goal, but these look closer to vanilla than my pack does. As a consequence, most of his textures aren't that detailed.

And about teaming up, I'd love that (seriously), but I don't have time for it right now. He is free to include my textures if he wants to though.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

FYI: the guy just put out a big update. May want to check in again if you're interested.