Elder Scrolls: VI

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
AnyOldName3

Re: Elder Scrolls: VI

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If nothing crazy has happened to change the terrain and foliage of an area (like Cyrodil no longer being a jungle in Oblivion) there are some pretty compelling arguments for why the stuff in the trailer would have to be the north coast of High Rock. This is also dependent on Bethesda knowing what they're doing, though.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

I have seen no compelling arguments at all and as you pointed out, Bethesda doesn't really care about keeping landscapes the same as described before. I mean, I wouldn't even be surprised if Bethesda put it in Akavir so they can shove that VI in the title like they did with the IV in Oblivion.

Conclusion: everybody is just wildly guessing even though they know exactly zilch more than they did a week ago.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Okulo wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 14:12 I mean, I wouldn't even be surprised if Bethesda put it in Akavir so they can shove that VI in the title like they did with the IV in Oblivion.
Although having IV in Oblivion means having three letters before and after IV, which makes for a nice symmetric design. This wouldn't be the case for Akavir.

Stupid analysis of mine which makes it sound like I'm super hyped and interested in this release (I'm not), but just a thought, haha.
wareya

Post by wareya »

They've been showing off the different regions in ESO, they're not going to pull an Oblivion again.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Okulo wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 14:12 I have seen no compelling arguments at all and as you pointed out, Bethesda doesn't really care about keeping landscapes the same as described before. I mean, I wouldn't even be surprised if Bethesda put it in Akavir so they can shove that VI in the title like they did with the IV in Oblivion.

Conclusion: everybody is just wildly guessing even though they know exactly zilch more than they did a week ago.
I would support it being in Akavir for so many reasons.

The most popular opinion I've seen on reddit so far is it's in High Rock with some interesting but not terribly compelling arguments about the music orchestration. I wouldn't say that we have absolutely no information though. From this interview he makes it sound like the teaser is meant to carry some nuggets of information. Like you though, I don't think we have enough info to say anything compelling in any direction. We don't have detailed enough information about the rest of Tamriel to say what the geology or the architecture indicates. This is in large part because of inconsistencies we've seen in the past.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The pro-High-Rock stuff that I saw was based on:
  • The direction of shadows and the sun relative to other stuff suggested that it was the North coast of somewhere, provided that the Sun takes the same path through the sky as in other TES games.
  • North coast is spread between High Rock, Skyrim, Morrowind, Hammerfell and the Summerset Isle.
  • It didn't look like any of the northern coast of Skyrim or Morrowind.
  • If it was Hammerfell, they'd probably have focussed on the desert instead of the coast.
  • If it was the Summerset Isle, racist elves would murder anyone who wasn't an Altmer, so the game would have far fewer character options.
  • There's no reason to say it isn't High Rock.
    [/list
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

So it is predicated on three things:

1. The (yuge) assumption that Bethesda is being somewhat consistent with their world for their teaser.
2. That it takes place in the same sociopolitical state we left Nirn.
3. Shifting the burden proof.

Think of it like this:

The teaser shows a barren landscape and a body of water. Where do we see barren landscapes and bodies of water?
wareya

Post by wareya »

The teaser shows a rocky shrubby landscape with huge stone mountains very close to a jagged gulf, with ruins in the hills and a city with a tower in it on the coastline. It's not as vague as you're making it out to be.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Personally, I hope that The Elder Scrolls VI is in the Summerset Isles. Why?
  • It's on an island, meaning that just like Vvardenfell, you get the natural boundaries of the sea and don't have to worry about invisible walls to keep the players from going out of bounds.
  • Story-wise, it provides an interesting counterpoint to play in the land of the Thalmor and possibly make them more sympathetic after they were generally viewed as the "bad guys" in Skyrim
  • There's enough gimmicky magic around (e.g. the remains of the Crystal Tower, isles appearing and disappearing) to provide a number of interesting story hooks and stuff that could rival the Dragon Shouts gimmick. Besides, the Altmer are all about magic.
  • Speaking of gimmicks: ship combat!
  • The Altmer have always had a lot of internal strife, including a caste-based system. That should provide a lot of political intrigue.
  • If you need an external threat, the immortal King Orgnum is about due to invade the Summerset Isles again, providing all sorts of plot threads there. And given that he resides in Pyandonea, it gives a glimpse into the world beyond Tamriel (personally, I think it's best if the player doesn't go there, but if Bethesda wanted to finally give in to player demands to explore beyond Tamriel, there you go).
  • I think that setting The Elder Scrolls VI here gives the best shot of having a Morrowind-like experience in a new realm.
But the trailer looked pretty generic. They'll probably just play it safe and do it in High Rock or Valenwood, given that the last two games were aesthetically pretty much bog-standard fantasy games.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

wareya wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 22:35 The teaser shows a rocky shrubby landscape with huge stone mountains very close to a jagged gulf, with ruins in the hills and a city with a tower in it on the coastline. It's not as vague as you're making it out to be.
A rocky shrubby landscape - so a barren landscape.
Huge stone mountains - well, at least now we know it doesn't take place in Denmark.
Jagged - Normal for a barren landscape.
A gulf - So a large body of water.
Ruins/city with a tower, near water - ie. everywhere.

Sounds like "a barren landscape and a body of water" is pretty accurate. If you want I'll throw in "collections of buildings of some description" in there. So now we have a barren landscape near a large body of water and people have constructed walled communities there." Let's look at the map of Tamriel. Oh look, that's every province.

I'm just gonna roll a die aaaaaand... it's going to be Black Marsh. Why not.