Microsoft Buys Github for $7.5 Billion

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
tomangelo

Re: Microsoft Buys Github for $7.5 Billion

Post by tomangelo »

Greendogo wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 00:49 FOSS deserves FOSS tools.
Well, GitHub weren't FOSS anyway, and without Microsoft intervention probably no one would care about that fact anyway.
Chris

Post by Chris »

tomangelo wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 12:39 Well, GitHub weren't FOSS anyway, and without Microsoft intervention probably no one would care about that fact anyway.
That's a rather large brush you got there, should probably be careful where you paint with it. :P I know plenty of people years ago who avoided or were unhappy with GitHub because it wasn't FOSS, well before there was any hint of Microsoft caring about the place. I know because those people were warning me away from GitHub when I first started using it because of it was closed source. The fact that it was closed source has always left a sour taste in my mouth, but I also liked the features and collaborative possibilities compared to other places at the time.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

@Scrawl: Are you going to take a break from coding for a while until we migrate to non-github-ness?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Greendogo wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 13:54 @Scrawl: Are you going to take a break from coding for a while until we migrate to non-github-ness?
Since when are migrating to non-github? :)
Ferk

Post by Ferk »

Did he seriously need to triple check with a team of lawyers whether Microsoft owns the projects now?
Honestly.. after reading that part he lost all credibility for me.

It's as if buying a gardening company that cuts the grass for Google & Microsoft offices (among many other companies unrelated to software) meant you are now taking part of the Software business they do.

Neither is Github all about open source (they are closed source themselves, and their main profit comes from closed projects) nor is the act of purchasing a company whose services happen to be used by several open source projects an indication that you are all about supporting those projects.

He states "Most of the important projects on GitHub are licensed under an open source license". Where did he get this information?
Can he name the top most important private closed projects on Github? Because I don't think that's public. Unless he's saying that any open source project on Github is more important than any possible closed one that could be hosted on it. I doubt Github shares this view though, considering they get the money from private closed projects.

I do agree that Microsoft won't be doing anything stupid (for their own sake). But thinking that somehow purchasing a closed source company shows Microsoft is committed to open source support is just wishful thinking. Only by opening code are you showing support to open source. They did the right thing with .NET, they could as well now do it with Github. If they did release the code from Github so people can self-host I would indeed be happy and supportive about it. Otherwise, this is just a closed source software company doing business.

If the purchase means that Github will never open up its code (assuming they ever intended to release it had no company bought them over), then I don't think this is something open source advocates should celebrate (unless it results in an increase in popularity for Gitlab, in that case do celebrate).
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Are you going to take a break from coding for a while until we migrate to non-github-ness?
No thanks, I'll rather take a break until Microsoft is dead.

The only reason I kept working on OpenMW was because I wanted it to be hallmark of engineering, of collaboration between OSS projects and of free software culture in general. I've long since stopped caring about 'playing morrowind', and if that's the only thing this project is still about (as evidenced by most of the comments in this thread), then there's no need for me to be here anymore. Thanks to drummyfish, werdanith and Chris for being a voice of reason, but it looks like we're the minority.

To be fair, between work and other stuff I haven't had much time to work on anything substantial for OpenMW anyway, but if I did, I'd just make a fork and I'd be sure to make it Linux only to weed out the "free as in free beer" suckers (thanks for the idea, Blue).

So I guess that's a 'bye'. Don't try to win me back because you could hardly say or do anything in earnest at this point.
lysol

Post by lysol »

scrawl wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 12:48 Thanks to drummyfish, werdanith and Chris for being a voice of reason, but it looks like we're the minority.
Did we read the same thread? Sure that some scream louder than others, but I didn't see your voices as minorities.

This sucks by the way. We're gonna miss you.

EDIT: To quote K0kt409P:
K0kt409P wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 13:38 For what it's worth I think most of the main contributors and many of us observers agree with your vision.
You can count me on that list too.
Last edited by lysol on 10 Jun 2018, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

scrawl wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 12:48 So I guess that's a 'bye'. Don't try to win me back because you could hardly say or do anything in earnest at this point.
Sorry to see you go, scrawl. For what it's worth I think most of the main contributors and many of us observers agree with your vision. Thanks for everything, and take care of yourself!
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Bye.
wareya

Post by wareya »

Ferk wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 20:37 He states "Most of the important projects on GitHub are licensed under an open source license". Where did he get this information?
Can he name the top most important private closed projects on Github? Because I don't think that's public.
You're taking "on GitHub" too broadly. It's talking about projects that are hosted on "GitHub as a public development/hosting platform". Of course there are tons of private projects, but nobody can know what the most important private projects are. If you want to talk about what's "on GitHub" without specifically elaborating that you're including private stuff, it's going to mean the public stuff.