Morrowind HD?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
augustt

Re: Morrowind HD?

Post by augustt »

... because Bungie isn't going to pick a name for an expansion that to the casual observer is about the American nuclear attack that killed hundreds of thousands of people. mostly civilians.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

Treating this (pretty obviously blatantly fake) rumour as if it's true (for the barest moment):

What would be the absolute minimum they would do? The barest amount they could do to get away with it meeting the criteria of "Morrowind [in] HD"?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Make the base engine support widescreen.
jmelesky

Post by jmelesky »

Sslaxx wrote: 23 May 2018, 19:28 What would be the absolute minimum they would do? The barest amount they could do to get away with it meeting the criteria of "Morrowind [in] HD"?
Remaster the original textures to be much higher detail.

After that, I'd say remake the meshes to have more polygons. If they want to do that, though, they almost certainly need to rewrite the display portion of the engine to better utilize video cards. And that would be a huge, difficult thing, so that's unlikely to happen.

So the absolute minimum might also be the maximum.
Chris

Post by Chris »

jmelesky wrote: 23 May 2018, 23:57 After that, I'd say remake the meshes to have more polygons.
Which in turn would require redoing the character skeleton, as its awkward construction is currently hidden by the fact that the characters are low-poly. That then would mean having to redo the animations too.

I would also say the sound effects should probably be redone also. IIRC, the majority of sound effects are 22khz (which has a limited maximum frequency response of 11khz, well below the 20khz that young healthy ears can potentially hear). I might say to replace them too, but that's probably just me being tired of most of Morrowind's stock sounds.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

The UV-mapping of Morrowind models is horrible. I could imagine them thinking about maybe remaking Morrowind textures, then seeing the UV-maps and being like "nope, I don't want to have to deal with this".
lysol

Post by lysol »

DestinedToDie wrote: 25 May 2018, 04:49 The UV-mapping of Morrowind models is horrible. I could imagine them thinking about maybe remaking Morrowind textures, then seeing the UV-maps and being like "nope, I don't want to have to deal with this".
This.