OpenTESArena 0.7.0 Released!

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
afritz1

OpenTESArena 0.7.0 Released!

Post by afritz1 »

Hello all, I released version 0.7.0 of my open-source engine for Arena today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKk18KLYU8k

The highlights of this release include city generation, dungeon generation, fast traveling, and province map searching. Wilderness generation is still in its early stages, but I'm optimistic that more progress will be made by the next release.

Anyway, thanks for following my project!
raevol

Re: OpenTESArena 0.7.0 Released!

Post by raevol »

Very nice! Congrats on the release!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Excellent! :D
ladyonthemoon

Post by ladyonthemoon »

Wow, maybe I'll be able to play that game at last! :)
afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

ladyonthemoon wrote: 14 May 2018, 18:07 Wow, maybe I'll be able to play that game at last! :)
I think a lot of other people are thinking the exact same thing. When I first started playing Arena a couple years ago, I was right on the brink of saying "Ehh... this game's too antiquated to bother with", but I decided to power through it, and only recently (last year sometime?) did I beat the main quest! I'm well aware of the high barrier to entry but maybe my engine can help lower that :).
ladyonthemoon

Post by ladyonthemoon »

afritz1 wrote: 15 May 2018, 06:53
ladyonthemoon wrote: 14 May 2018, 18:07 Wow, maybe I'll be able to play that game at last! :)
I think a lot of other people are thinking the exact same thing. When I first started playing Arena a couple years ago, I was right on the brink of saying "Ehh... this game's too antiquated to bother with", but I decided to power through it, and only recently (last year sometime?) did I beat the main quest! I'm well aware of the high barrier to entry but maybe my engine can help lower that :).
Ha ha! :D

You wouldn't have the same project for Daggerfall by chance?
clocknova

Post by clocknova »

ladyonthemoon wrote: 15 May 2018, 07:37
afritz1 wrote: 15 May 2018, 06:53
Ha ha! :D

You know about Daggerfall Unity, right?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

opendf (kcat/chris)
daggerxl (formally lucius, now kcat/chris and myself, with help from afritz1 and interkarma)
daggerfall unity (interkarma)

small world, really
afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

ladyonthemoon wrote: 15 May 2018, 07:37 Ha ha! :D

What clocknova and psi29a said. I think an open-source project for Daggerfall would be too ambitious for me, so that's one reason why I chose Arena instead. Arena is just more simple overall, and it's easier to keep the project scope manageable as a result.

I did help a bit with the initial clean-up of the XL Engine code when it was released on April Fool's last month. I would help more on it but I'd rather focus on my own project instead ;)
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

afritz1 wrote: 15 May 2018, 17:55 What clocknova and psi29a said. I think an open-source project for Daggerfall would be too ambitious for me, so that's one reason why I chose Arena instead. Arena is just more simple overall, and it's easier to keep the project scope manageable as a result.
And it has the added benefit of having less competition with other projects, and for making it easier for modern gamers to play all the numbered TES games!