XL Engine source code release!

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Jemolk

Re: XL Engine source code release!

Post by Jemolk »

This is really cool! I'm so happy to see you guys working things out! Much prefer the idea of DaggerXL to DaggerfallUnity, and now we might actually get there! Soon, too!
Marvolo

Post by Marvolo »

Feeling the excitement here as well!

How much of Daggerfall is actually completed in the XLEngine version? Does it support mods?
raevol

Post by raevol »

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Marvolo wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 02:31 Feeling the excitement here as well!

How much of Daggerfall is actually completed in the XLEngine version? Does it support mods?
We're still gauging this. The problem is, we were underwhelmed with what was there in the code drop than with the videos LuciusDXL posted. Even the binaries in the drop seem to crash on windows (please correct me if I'm wrong). So it is uncertain what is there and what isn't.

There is currently no sound or music, these seem to be commented out.

The code drop seems to be in middle of a code re-write, so lots of things don't seem to be working and we've had to patch-up/stub-out.

As we move forward we'll be able to make a better assessment with what we have. We're still just trying to get it up and doing something.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Concerning an outside link to this forum thread, we may want to move this discussion to a more permanent thread and put a link to there. Is Off-Topic the best Sub-Forum for this? Do we need a new Sub-Forum for this discussion or what? There was once a lot of interest in this engine; if that re-surges, this thread will explode.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

That would be a very nice problem to have. :)

I think this thread is fine here for the time being.

Is there a forum for opentesarena? Otherwise an option would be hold a subforum for these kinda 'side-quests'.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

We should actually call the sub-forum "Side-Quests" :geek:
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Our first windows builds are coming down the pipe... Appveyor to the rescue:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/psi29a/xlengine
magamo

Post by magamo »

So, I played around with this a bit today.

With Daggerfall, and the soft32 renderer, XLEngine segfaults on load. The soft8 renderer is the most complete for Daggerfall so far -- The OpenGL renderer seems to render everything, but nothing is textured, leading the play area to be very... Monochrome.

For Dark Forces, the soft32 renderer and opengl renderer give me the DarkXL title screen and nothing else, soft8 just renders black screen.
afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

psi29a wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 20:03 Is there a forum for opentesarena? Otherwise an option would be hold a subforum for these kinda 'side-quests'.
It doesn't have a forum yet since it's still in a very nomadic state :), hovering between here and the Daggerfall Unity forums, which is kind of how I like it. I'd rather not manage my own forum since I think it'd be too distracting. I want to spend most of my time implementing things and not chatting :)

I think any additions to the OpenMW sub-forums should be distinctly Elder Scrolls-related (at least until other games are made with it), but the XL Engine is partially Elder Scrolls because of Daggerfall (with the very slight potential for Arena in the distant future), so I'd consider it a candidate.