XL Engine source code release!

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Chris

Re: XL Engine source code release!

Post by Chris »

Seems like it's complaining about string methods I started using, which I didn't realize were added in C++11. I could make some ugly workarounds for C++03, but I believe we were planning to move to C++11 (or 14?) anyway.

In this case, it might work to explicitly enable C++11 if the issue is the compiler defaulting to 03. Newer compilers are defaulting to 11, if not 14, nowadays, and MSVC never gives a choice in the matter, so it shouldn't break anything we wouldn't have to deal with anyway.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

C++11 at least, C++14 preferable
we can set that in cmake and be done with it and close our first issue :P
magamo

Post by magamo »

This now compiles cleanly in my Ubuntu 16.04 dev environment! Not sure when I'll get to do much more than that in playing with this, but glad to see it! Any idea what the scope of our support for this will be? Will the focus only be on DaggerXL, or will the other games be given love? As much as I'm interested in a native Daggerfall reimplementation, I'm also very much interested in Dark Forces, and having that be playable.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

We're just trying to stabilize it so that it 1:1 is with what was available with windows.

From there... yeah, figure out what is finished and what still needs to be done.

As far as I'm aware, Dark Forces was playable from begin to end. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
magamo

Post by magamo »

Well, when I try and use XLEngine with my copy of Dark Forces, I just get a black screen -- Mind you, it's a CD version installed manually in Dosbox years back, I may not have all the files XLEngine is looking for, but I'm not getting any other messaging on the console. (I expect the original program is still looking for CD resources for something)

Nothing after `Start UIScript: DarkXL/CoreUI.as` however, and I did get could not find DARK.GOB until I renamed it to all caps.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

That's is about as far as I get right now with darkxl on Linux. Kcat said he managed to get a title screen...

As I said, we are trying to get things as stable on Linux as it was ever on windows when Lucius was still making releases.

That being said, we've not done any testing (or built) on windows or osx, so any help there would be appreciated.

Has anyone tested with the windows binaries yet that were released in the AprilFirst.zip file? Does dark forces run there?

To be clear: this is not an OpenMW effort, just people wanting it to work and play Daggerfall on Linux. :)
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

Although I prefer Linux, I have Windows on my gaming computer, and I'd be more than happy to test the binaries, as I own both Daggerfall and Dark Forces. I also own Blood, but AFAIK, BloodXL wasn't worked on too much.
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

Ok, so with the current binary, trying to start both Daggerfall and Dark Forces with the XLEngine Launcher simply crashes the program. It doesn't even idle with black screen. Both copies of my games are from GOG. I could try downloading Bethesda's free copy of Daggerfall and test that, later.

EDIT

Bethesda's copy doesn't work, either. Blood also crashes the program.

Pretty much trying to start anything crashes on Windows.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

It crashes for me too in wine. It is presumably the last builds that LuciusDXL ever made.
imec

Post by imec »

How do you set your Daggerfall directory? I am just throwing the executables in my ARENA2 folder and it launches, but it segfaults randomly and I'm getting complaints about various items within BLOCKS.BSA. Also, is mouselook working for you guys?

Edit:
Nevermind. I see you need to create a DaggerXL.conf at ~/.config/XLEngine/

Settings seem to be (may have missed some):
data-path = "ARENA2 location"
fullscreen = true, false
width = pixel width
height = pixel height
emulate-low-res = true, false
renderer = soft8, soft32, opengl
vsync = true, false

Edit2:
And now mouselook and the console are working fine (with some caveats) after I put my executables in XLEngine-master rather than a dedicated build directory.