eGPU stuff

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lysol

Re: eGPU stuff

Post by lysol »

raevol wrote: 04 May 2018, 01:42 My information could be outdated, but my understanding was that Ubuntu Studio rolled a new kernel, which is a prime culprit for driver issues. A lot of the Ubuntu knockoffs, like Mint and I am guessing Budgie, do weird stuff like that, so if you really want to test driver support you should try vanilla. Doesn't mean you have to stick with it, but you can at least isolate the problem.
Ah. I'll keep that in mind if I have to reinstall again. Thanks.
AnyOldName3 wrote: 03 May 2018, 13:45 I have a suspicion that the best AMD drivers are Wayland-only, so if you're still having issues and Ubuntu switched back to Xorg, that might be something worth Googling.
I'll have a look at that, even though psi's experiences tells otherwise. Why? Because when the graphics card actually wants to boot up, the computer freezes within a few minutes of use.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I'm having issues with hdmi and the displayport on bionic, just noticed (I usually don't hook up external monitors). It will either freeze after a few minutes if I plug the cable in mid-session or if I'm just logging in for the first time, I can't get past GDM login, it always crashes back to GDM regardless of windowing environment (gnome3, budgie, whatever).
lysol

Post by lysol »

Really now? Maybe I should try out 17.10 instead.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Small update: It could be as simple as badly shielded cables. I asked at the /r/eGPU subreddit, and a guy there said that the cables the exp gdc beast (the m.2 to pcie adapter) comes with have bad shielding, and that this could be why the computer only detects the graphics card only every now and then. Sounds reasonable, since the graphics card is placed just beside my printer.....

I googled a bit, and I'll try wrapping the cables in aluminium foil. Suddenly this project got a ghetto rating of 11/10. :roll:
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If the foil works, you might be able to de-ghetto it by putting heat-shrink tubing over the foil. That always makes things look a zillion times more professional.
lysol

Post by lysol »

That's a great idea actually.
lysol

Post by lysol »

To this thread, I command: BUMP!

I haven't had much time or energy to research so much more on this. I've tried quite a lot of stuff without much success. Even when I get the computer to detect the graphics card, the computer freezes as soon as there's some load put into it. So I guess the signal is really bad through the cables or something like that.

BUT: I've come up with a nice alternative. A much more easier, cheaper (well...) and sensible solution. Streacom, the maker of my computer case, makes a 240W passively cooled PSU (called ZeroFlex), made for the passive cases they make. With that PSU, I could run a low powered card like a 750ti or maybe even a 1050ti (both can be found in passive versions). So that leaves me with only needing a PCI-E riser cable with the card placed outside of the case. Those cables are quite cheap.

I'm so stupid trying to do this the hard way when this is so easily done......

100% silent gaming, wohoo!