Re-use of Bethesda content

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Darklocq

Re-use of Bethesda content

Post by Darklocq »

We're okay to "remix" Bethesda audio files (Dunmer voices, etc.) for use in mods for OpenMW, right? As I understand it, all the game content is free to use for modding as long as it's not for sale and not for some other company's games, but other people know more about the licensing nit-picks than I do. I want to trim some stuff off of various audio files, and use snippets of them to effectively say new things. E.g., Vo/d/f/tHlo_DF095.mp3 says "Comfort is given, justice is taken, Curate", and would be useful without the Tribunal faction level title tacked on at the end.

Also have thought of pitch-shifting copies of a bunch of Dunmer male audio so that Julan sounds less like a middle-aged guy who smokes too much; patch the mod to call different alternative audio files.
AnyOldName3

Re: Re-use of Bethesda content

Post by AnyOldName3 »

As OpenMW doesn't really do anything that the vanilla engine doesn't yet, your best option in terms of making sure all licences are respected is to release anything as a regular Morrowind mod, but potentially run our script verifier on it and test it with OpenMW in addition to the vanilla engine. If it's not a texture pack, there's no reason to make a mod OpenMW-specific, as a good mod that works on the vanilla engine works in OpenMW (provided it doesn't reveal an unimplemented feature or unpatched bug) and vice-versa.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 05:18 If it's not a texture pack, there's no reason to make a mod OpenMW-specific, as a good mod that works on the vanilla engine works in OpenMW (provided it doesn't reveal an unimplemented feature or unpatched bug) and vice-versa.
One reason to make it OpenMW specific is if you can’t test on vanilla. For instance, I’m a Mac user, and since I can’t run vanilla on my machine, I can’t support it in vanilla with any level of confidence. I would probably do what The Redguard Rug does and distribute it as an .omwaddon file, with a note in the description that it will probably work in vanilla if renamed to an .esp, but it’s untested.

Of course, you could also make it OpenMW-specific just to spite the vanilla users and encourage OpenMW adoption ;)
raevol

Post by raevol »

Thunderforge wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 18:40 Of course, you could also make it OpenMW-specific just to spite the vanilla users and encourage OpenMW adoption ;)
I can see the reddit post now... "OpenMW devs hate Morrowind, intentionally spiting player community!" :lol: