Open Morrowind overhaul is gone?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Chris

Re: Open Morrowind overhaul is gone?

Post by Chris »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 19:30 Pre-OpenMW it wasn't possible to ask for money for a modpack as Bethesda owned the rights to anything the CS had touched. Now our open-source construction set exists (because apparently XEdit tools like TES5Edit don't count and people regard Bethesda as still owning the rights to mods made with them) people don't have to care what Bethesda think, so there'll be people trying to grab money any way they can, even if they end up violating the rights of modders (as modders are less likely to take legal action than Bethesda).
Modifying the original game can still leave Bethesda-owned content in the resulting files if they're not 100% from scratch. An open-source construction set/editor doesn't remove Bethesda's copyright when modifying their data.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's fine as long as he either has permission or the mods all have licences that allow commercial use and also the mod files have never been touched by the Bethesda CS. I know for a fact that the official add-ons have been touched by the Bethesda CS, and therefore it's illegal for him to collect any money.

Case closed.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Modifying the original game can still leave Bethesda-owned content in the resulting files if they're not 100% from scratch. An open-source construction set/editor doesn't remove Bethesda's copyright when modifying their data.
If I use TES5Edit to create a new mod that only adds records and doesn't edit any (e.g. if I create an armour mod that adds an armour to the game but doesn't actually add it to any cells so you can only get it by using a console command) there should be no way for Bethesda IP to leak into the mod, though. I've seen claims that this is still not okay.
RubberMan

Post by RubberMan »

Thunderforge wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 17:16
RubberMan wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 15:12 Maybe because it infringes copyright on so many levels?
In what way does it infringe copyright? If it does, then I think we probably ought to remove it from the mod list, since we don’t want to promote that.
Because for a start he's using my stuff lmao! Never asked either. Plus he's trying to make money off it >.<
He's also using DarkNut's stuff and a good few of the other guys off Discord.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If I'm right, you can send a Cease and Desist fairly easily, so even if you don't have the money to lawyer up and make him stop, you might be able to scare him that someone else whose assets he's stolen might.
lysol

Post by lysol »

RubberMan wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 21:29
Thunderforge wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 17:16
RubberMan wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 15:12 Maybe because it infringes copyright on so many levels?
In what way does it infringe copyright? If it does, then I think we probably ought to remove it from the mod list, since we don’t want to promote that.
Because for a start he's using my stuff lmao! Never asked either. Plus he's trying to make money off it >.<
He's also using DarkNut's stuff and a good few of the other guys off Discord.
I think it's safe to say that we should remove the pack from the mod list. At least until he gets permission from all the mod authors (which, frankly, he never will).

EDIT: I took the liberty to remove the mod from the wiki. As already discussed in the other thread, we probably don't want to be associated with a project like this.
Chris

Post by Chris »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 21:04 If I use TES5Edit to create a new mod that only adds records and doesn't edit any (e.g. if I create an armour mod that adds an armour to the game but doesn't actually add it to any cells so you can only get it by using a console command) there should be no way for Bethesda IP to leak into the mod, though. I've seen claims that this is still not okay.
That is fine sure, but no mod realistically does that. New objects have to be added to the world somehow to really be useful, either modifying loot tables, modifying a specific NPC, modifying a shop's inventory, or some combination thereof.