Fun stuff

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Ascent

Re: Fun stuff

Post by Ascent »

scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Tales of application compatibility from a windows 95 engineer.
Ascent

Post by Ascent »

Relying on spurious or obsolete messages

You might notice that you will often get WM_PAINT messages where the rcPaint is empty. In other words, you’re being asked to paint nothing. Why does the window manager send you meaningless messages?

Because oodles of programs rely on these meaningless messages. Earlier versions of Windows sent paint messages at particular points during the program’s execution, but which as the result of changes to the window manager no longer require painting. Programs designed for earlier versions of Windows relied on those messages—if they didn’t get the messages, the programs produced incorrect output or even crashed, because they were counting on the messages to tell them when it’s time to initialize a variable or allocate an object. Suppress the message because it’s no longer needed (from the window manager’s point of view), and these programs end up using something before it’s been created, dividing by zero, or positioning their screen elements incorrectly. For example, if you launched one of these programs as a minimized window, then right-clicked on its taskbar, the program might crash because its system menu handler divided by a global variable whose default value is zero, but which gets set to a nonzero value during WM_PAINT handling. To avoid this problem, the window manager sends these messages to windows even though they appear to accomplish nothing.
Microsoft's backwards compatibility is (in)famous. I can only hope we won't be reading stuff like this about Linux in the future because of Linus' policy: "we don't break userspace." It doesn't matter much for open source apps, but there are more and more closed source game ports.

Ah, who cares. There's always virtualization. I'm gonna emulate Linux in my Linux so I can play my old Linux games in Linux. Dawg. :)
ezze

Post by ezze »

Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Edit:
This forum needs a way to do image thumbnails, css max-width or something.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Heehee :D
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

https://youtu.be/L5lgYZKKh4g

Seems like Cortana has something against Morrowind
TechNoirMK

Post by TechNoirMK »

While waiting for 0.37, I've decided to have some fun with WeirdSexy's videos. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXIIyttG9Nw
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

That was pretty funny. I'm stil waiting for death metal variation on weird sexy.