FCC Repeals Net Neutrality.

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
raevol

FCC Repeals Net Neutrality.

Post by raevol »

I am regularly ashamed of my country, but today most of all. What an awful mess.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: FCC Repeals Net Neutrality.

Post by psi29a »

Looks like the FCC has just allowed the rest of the world to further isolate America. Isn't this all apart of Trump's (Bannon's) plan?
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

Super sad right now, also I'm not very informed about the exact laws though - does it mean they can completely block some sites/protocols? Or just slow down the speed? Can they effectively censor stuff?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

They can block, throttle or change anything they want now. For example, if a bill was created to bring back Net Neutrality, it would be completely fine for an ISP to make it seem as if it didn't exist to anyone using their services. Also, in the rare parts of the US where there's a choice of ISP, it would be just fine for them to block each other's sign up pages so no one could switch provider.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

They can do that only to traffic that is covered by America's jurisdiction. This will likely push websites and content providers outside America.
DMKW

Post by DMKW »

I'm sorry guys. That sucks. At least 2 people on the board voted in favour of keeping the current practices in place. But there was nothing anyone could do about this. Ajit Pai was bought and paid for long ago and was there to do one thing.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Seems like this was going to happen sooner or later, these guys don't give up. When I first learned of lobbying, I immediately concluded it to be corruption, just worded politely.
Chris

Post by Chris »

As far as I understand, it'll take about a month or two before the new rules actually go into effect. Several states are also fighting back with lawsuits and bills to effectively prevent the FCC from reversing net neutrality, so it's not quite over yet. But whether or not anything will come from it is anyone's guess.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

I'm a bit afraid if this can come to Europe as well? But at the same time I think it couldn't even work here, because we have many competing ISPs and even if net neutrality was abolished, any ISP that would offer neutral connection to the Internet would be preferred over the competition I guess, so at least some would chose not to take advantage of these laws.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Yea, the problem we have here, at least in my area, is the ISPs have monopolies over the areas they serve. So in my area my only choices are AT&T (because they are everywhere for some reason, like a disease) and Time Warner. The only other ISP even in my region is Cox, and Cox and TW divvied on the area so they don't have to compete with each other.

It's about as corrupt as you can get, but we can't do anything about it while they own all the lawmakers.