Atahualpa's master thesis

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lysol

Atahualpa's master thesis

Post by lysol »

I'm just staring a new thread since the release threads otherwise gets so spammed. No pressure! :D
Atahualpa wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 11:37
raevol wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 21:50 Yee Atahualpa! How did your bachelor thesis go?
Well, it somehow mutated into a master thesis when I wasn't looking, but otherwise everything went well.
Ehm... How does a bachelor thesis mutate into a master thesis?! Isn't a master's degree like 4 or 5 years vs 3 years of bachelor's? Are you a genious or what's the secret? :lol:

Glad to hear it went well anyway.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Atahualpa's master thesis

Post by psi29a »

In Belgium, 3 years for a bachelor and another year (or two, or even 4 in medicine) for a masters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education ... na_changes

This has changed a bit after the Bologna accords...

Europe usually wonders why Americans take so long, with the usual assumption that it takes them longer to grasp the material. However what most fail to realize is that in Europe, when you study, that is all you do... you're not allowed to work and go to school, which is logical considering that your education is heavily subsidized. In the US, it is trivial to balance work and school... it is pretty much expected of you because of tuition is mostly out of pocket.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

lysol wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 12:42
Atahualpa wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 11:37 Well, it somehow mutated into a master thesis when I wasn't looking, but otherwise everything went well.
Ehm... How does a bachelor thesis mutate into a master thesis?!
No, it's still a bachelor thesis, although I would rather call 125 pages (main part of ~90 pages) a master thesis.
lysol wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 12:42 Are you a genious or what's the secret? :lol:
Well, you know the effort I put in the release videos. I simply redirected mental force. ;)
psi29a wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 12:48 Europe usually wonders why Americans take so long, with the usual assumption that it takes them longer to grasp the material. However what most fail to realize is that in Europe, when you study, that is all you do... you're not allowed to work and go to school, which is logical considering that your education is heavily subsidized. In the US, it is trivial to balance work and school... it is pretty much expected of you because of tuition is mostly out of pocket.
The majority of students in Germany (and in most other European countries as well, I guess) have to work in order to fund their studies (although things in the U.S. appear to be much worse). My (rather challenging) degree programme has a regular study period of seven semesters and it took me ten to finish it.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Atahualpa wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 12:58 No, it's still a bachelor thesis, although I would rather call 125 pages (main part of ~90 pages) a master thesis.
Of course, I should have known that was what you meant.

That's crazy anyway. Good work. The best thing about doing medical studies is that medical science articles are usually under 20 pages or something. Haha. I think my bachelor's thesis in radiography was something like 12-15 pages or so. Can't remember if that includes the sources and the table of contents or not... ;)
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

Huh, I didn't know there were such a big differences between countries and study fields.
In CzechRepublic it's 3 years for Bachelor and additional 2 for Masters degree. Phd takes 2-8 depending on what and how you study.
psi29a wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 12:48 However what most fail to realize is that in Europe, when you study, that is all you do... you're not allowed to work and go to school, which is logical considering that your education is heavily subsidized.
We are allowed to work, it's actually considered a very good idea. And people from our faculty are always hunting for someone to help with their projects.
lysol wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 13:28 I think my bachelor's thesis in radiography was something like 12-15 pages or so.
Atahualpa wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 12:58 No, it's still a bachelor thesis, although I would rather call 125 pages (main part of ~90 pages) a master thesis.
Wow, the world is unfair 😢. At least my Masters thesis needs to be only 60+ pages. (Bachelor was 40+)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

jirka642 wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 15:10 We are allowed to work, it's actually considered a very good idea. And people from our faculty are always hunting for someone to help with their projects.
I should probably rephrase this, you're allowed to work but in Belgium you are limited in the number of hours you're allowed to work because you should be focused on your studies. Exception to this is any research (paid or otherwise) having to do with the university. In Belgium, they tell you... either work or school, not both.
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

Interesting, we don't have any specific limit for number of hours you can work. Probably, because it's not physically possible to both go to school and work more then just few hours per day anyway. If you would try to go around this by skipping all classes that don't have mandatory attendance, you will have super big problems with exams (most people that tried this dropped to lower year or just completely out).
psi29a wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 15:56 In Belgium, they tell you... either work or school, not both.
I guess that here they expect you to be able to manage your time correctly by yourself...

Wait! Now that I think about that, you can't have very big problems with people that start studying for a year (just because they don't want to pay social insurance etc. yet) and then work normally without studying at all before they get kicked out and then repeat it until goverment stops paying for them. :o That's a pretty cool idea.
raevol

Post by raevol »

So interesting to hear how things work around the world... Something that has been endlessly frustrating for me here is that even though you have to pay with your firstborn child for education, you're not allowed to go back and get a second bachelor degree from a public university. Thus in order to change my field, I've had to go back and get a master's degree, but since my bachelors is in a different field, I've been doing years of prerequisite classes that basically count for nothing until I am accepted into the masters program...
Zobator

Post by Zobator »

psi29a wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 12:48 In Belgium, 3 years for a bachelor and another year (or two, or even 4 in medicine) for a masters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education ... na_changes
That's changing. I'm in the 3rd year of the masters and I'll be graduating along with the people who are currently doing their 4th year in the masters.
Something to make the medicine course equal in all the EU states, I believe. One big mess if you ask me :p