Linux IDE?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
raevol

Linux IDE?

Post by raevol »

What IDE do our Linux devs use? Is Code::Blocks the gold standard? Does anyone use Sublime text? I want to start getting my feet wet with bigger code bases, and I guess vim isn't going to cut it anymore. :cry:
AnyOldName3

Re: Linux IDE?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you get really good with Vim, then it's feasible to use that and nothing else. By the time you get that good, though, you might have turned into the kind of person who gets irrationally angry when they know another person's typing anything into a computer and it's not via Vim.

Tools like Sublime Text and Visual Studio Code aren't really IDEs but are really just text editors with extra features. You can certainly make these do everything you really need with the right plugins, but there are advantages to using an actual IDE.

As for actual Linux IDEs, I'm not the best person to ask. I tried C++ through Eclipse once and then decided that it wasn't going to happen a second time. If you wanted to get really silly, though, you could try running Visual Studio through Wine now that it supports cross-compiling for Linux natively. I doubt anyone would help you set that up, though, and assume that anyone who tried to do it would need help.
tri4ng1e

Post by tri4ng1e »

Non-professional here. I'm using Sublime Text, but it's not an IDE, just EXTREMELY handy text editor.

Don't like Code::Blocks. At all.

There is eclipse IDE with CDT extension - powerful thing with some cool features, good autocomplete and integration, and there is even more powerful "cevelop" IDE on top of it with template and macro expansion, debugging and other C++-specific features, but the engine written in Java -> big memory consumption and a bit laggy sometimes.

UPD:
There is also "yavide" on top of vim, nice screens, but I didn't try it.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I use KDevelop 5. It's really improved over 4, now sporting a libclang parser to figure out what the code means, any errors, and provide various levels of help. It natively supports CMake projects (just point it at CMakeLists.txt, and it sets the kdev project up for you, which itself builds with cmake; it will even continue to keep an eye on the cmake files and cmake cache to stay updated), and interfaces with Git. It also has a graphical debugger, but I've not really tried that out. This on top of basic IDE features such as problem reporting (it will keep an eye on the code you're writing and highlight problems that would show up during compile, like invalid conversions, unused variables, etc), code completion, class browser, jump to definition, automatic documentation from doxygen-like comments (unfortunately doesn't support OpenMW's use of the esoteric ///< construct, which applies the comment to a previous line, but it supports the normal /// and /** ... */ just fine), and so forth.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Thanks for the input guys, and keep them coming if anyone has more, I will look into all of these.
AnyOldName3 wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 22:55 If you get really good with Vim, then it's feasible to use that and nothing else. By the time you get that good, though, you might have turned into the kind of person who gets irrationally angry when they know another person's typing anything into a computer and it's not via Vim.
See the problem is I have satisfied the angry part of that already, but not the get good part. :cry:
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

QTCreator and Clion here... both great IDEs. I've never really like code::blocks

QtCreator is open-source

CLion (which I like better) is closed-source, but you can get an open-source license for free if you can prove you work on a FOSS project. This usually means your commit history on the repo.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Emacs + rtags is quite nice. :-)
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Usually I would also suggest QtCreator, but there seems to be a weird bug with it now that goes to 100% cpu usage whenever OpenMW's 'savegamedialog.cpp' is opened. Seems to have started occuring when OpenMW switched to C++11. Tested with QtCreator 3.5.1 haven't tested newer versions.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Lots of votes for QtCreator... hmm hmm!
sirherrbatka wrote: 13 Oct 2017, 16:47 Emacs + rtags is quite nice. :-)
MiroslavR

Post by MiroslavR »

I also use QtCreator for C++ projects.
scrawl wrote: 13 Oct 2017, 17:29 Usually I would also suggest QtCreator, but there seems to be a weird bug with it now that goes to 100% cpu usage whenever OpenMW's 'savegamedialog.cpp' is opened. Seems to have started occuring when OpenMW switched to C++11. Tested with QtCreator 3.5.1 haven't tested newer versions.
Can't reproduce that on my end (QtCreator 4.2.0 w/ clang code model).