Linux IDE?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lambda

Re: Linux IDE?

Post by lambda »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 22:55 Tools like Sublime Text and Visual Studio Code aren't really IDEs but are really just text editors with extra features. You can certainly make these do everything you really need with the right plugins, but there are advantages to using an actual IDE.
This is true, but the gap is closing. I am on arch linux and use atom v1.20 for virtually all text editing needs, and it is already a very competent quasi-IDE. Upcoming 1.21 will introduce a new package, atom-ide, that will provide ide features for users wanting them, and a few languages supporting it (alas, C++ is not among them).

I am not a professional programmer and I have programmed very little in C++ (the language is just plain horrible). But of the few IDE's I tried, KDevelop5 was the best. Have not tried CLion, but my experience with IntelliJ with the Python plugin was top notch -- in fact, the best Python IDE I have used.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I used KDevelop 4 when I did most of my programming at university, and back then it was really good. And KDevelop 5 has added even more nice improvements to it.

Of course, I'm one of those vim people nowadays, so tend to use that for most of my programming needs.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

@raevol
Rtags gives you clang stuff (warnings, errors, jump to definition, autocompletion, replace). rdm works in separate process, so it won't halt GUI because it needs to run GC once in a while (Clion, anyone?). Emacs is a fairly good editor, with good support for vi style editing, can be used for python, ruby, all kinds of lispy stuff. Unlike vim, it can be used with GDB as well. You can also use other tools (like silver searcher, for instance). Thanks to spacemacs it is not that hard to setup the whole thing.

Don't discard software, just because it is not flashy ;-)
raevol

Post by raevol »

sirherrbatka wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 14:28Don't discard software, just because it is not flashy ;-)
Oh for sure, I just am endlessly amused by the vim/emacs war. I know emacs is powerful and someday I will give it a shot, but until then I get a good laugh by being a vim zealot. 8-)
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

I am definately NOT a developer, but I've been trying to self-teach (and while its slow, I am making progress) and I am using geany

ST the non-developmental
raevol

Post by raevol »

Thank you ST!