Introduction

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Valtur_Naa

Introduction

Post by Valtur_Naa »

Hi all. I'm kind of excited to see OpenMW coming around, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help. I'm not an experienced programmer, but I'm working on the visual aspects of C++ and Qt and trying to get some experience. Anybody know some projects that someone with limited experience might be able to do?
Zini

Re: Introduction

Post by Zini »

We are still planning a new construction set (written with Qt), but it got delayed. I am not entirely sure what the status is (haven't got any feedback recently). I don't think there is any opportunity yet for you to work on it. It is possible that this will change once we have the editor development running.

As for OpenMW itself, all the easy tasks are taken already. I am sorry, but your description of your skill level is a bit vague. If you go into the details a bit more, I will try to find a task suitable for you. I am not overly optimistic though.
Valtur_Naa

Post by Valtur_Naa »

Okay then, a little more detail: I finished a book on low-level C++ programming about a month ago, so I know about classes and structures and inheritance and such, but I've been trying to learn Windows forms from tutorials and wikis. I am currently working on learning GUIs and widgets in Qt. When I feel I have a bit more of a handle on Qt's forms, I'm going to try building a GUI for a game and editor of my own.

Btw, how do I get a copy of what's been done so I can explore it? I downloaded a few years ago but must have missed something, and you guys have changed sites twice since then.

EDIT: if there are no tasks for me right away, no biggie. I'll keep working on my widgets and maybe when something comes up I'll be ready to handle it.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Btw, how do I get a copy of what's been done so I can explore it? I downloaded a few years ago but must have missed something, and you guys have changed sites twice since then.
If you mean the binary: http://code.google.com/p/openmw/downloads/list

if you mean the source: We have repositories on github. More information here

This page here has a lot of useful information for new developers.
EDIT: if there are no tasks for me right away, no biggie. I'll keep working on my widgets and maybe when something comes up I'll be ready to handle it.
Well, you could try this one. Really more about doing research and decoding a binary format (looking at the record in a hex editor and trying to make sense of it) than about coding.
Valtur_Naa

Post by Valtur_Naa »

No experience with this at all :oops: , but then, I'm sure I'll learn a lot by trying :) . Downloading the files now and gonna take a look into this.