How to use mailing lists?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
bidik

How to use mailing lists?

Post by bidik »

I can't quite get how they work.

Especially how to reply somebody. I remember I once tried to reply someone, and they later said to "post reply to the maillist instead of replying me directly".

And how to unsubscribe from mailing list, is that different for every maillist, or there are general universal rules?
K0kt409P

Re: How to use mailing lists?

Post by K0kt409P »

Mailing lists are great. They are the simplest (and therefore the best) solution to the problem of having a large, geographically disparate group of people communicate with each other. Not only are they virtually technology-agnostic (all you need to participate is the ability to send and receive email) and easy to archive, but you also get all the features of regular email for free (e.g. attachments, cryptographic signatures via PGP, etc.). The drawback is that they require a fair bit of moderation to deal with spam.

As for your questions, when participating in a mailing list you must pay attention to who the sender is. If it is the list itself (e.g. [email protected]) there is no need to reply to all, but if the sender is a specific person on the list (in which case the list is usually in CC) you must reply to the list for your message to be sent to the list. Different mailing lists handle this in different ways.

Unsubscriptions are usually handled by sending a message to an unsubscription address, which varies from list to list but is typically something like [email protected].
bidik

Re: How to use mailing lists?

Post by bidik »

Okay, thanks. It's more clear now.