Faction colors

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Zobator

Faction colors

Post by Zobator »

So in a moment of pure boredom I decided that, as a personal project, I want to make a set of wallpapers for the factions of Morrowind. Since I'd like to do something in the style of the pics included, I'd need 2 colors for each faction to work with. I'm wondering if you guys could tell me what 2 colors you'd associate with the following factions. (For example: Team Fargoth = poop-brown + vomit-green) The factions I'd like to work on are:
  • Sixth House
  • House Hlaalu
  • House Redoran
  • House Telvanni
  • House Indoril
  • House Dres
  • Blades
  • Dark Brotherhood
  • Fighters Guild
  • Imperial Cult
  • Imperial Legion
  • Mages Guild
  • Thieves Guild
  • Ashlanders
  • Morag Tong
  • Tribunal Temple
  • Twin Lamps
  • Skaal
I'm not sure if I'm actually going to do all (or even any) of these, but planning is half the work, right? :lol:

Probably something in the kind of this

I wish I could do something like this, but I'm a complete 3D-modelling rookie :o
Capostrophic

Re: Faction colors

Post by Capostrophic »

The palette of the Sixth House is black and red. Yeah, the bad guys, whatever.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

Zobator wrote: I wish I could do something like this, but I'm a complete 3D-modelling rookie :o
Something like this doesn't necessarily need any 3D modeling (in fact I doubt it was used to make this image), you can get similar results with Photoshop's layer effects Bevel and Emboss.
Zobator

Post by Zobator »

Pherim wrote: Something like this doesn't necessarily need any 3D modeling (in fact I doubt it was used to make this image), you can get similar results with Photoshop's layer effects Bevel and Emboss.
The creator of that image used 3Ds Max (https://www.behance.net/gallery/3985601 ... wallpapers) I doubt you could get that kind of detail in the model with just B&E in Photoshop, especially if you have a look at the other ones he made... I'm not sure yet in what exact style I'm going to do the emblems/crests/... and probably going to fiddle around with that for some time, but that metallic style might be for a future project :p
Last edited by Zobator on 19 Jan 2017, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Zobator wrote:Team Fargoth = poop-brown + vomit-green
:lol: So true! Does anyone actually like Fargoth?!

Most of my associations are whatever the banner/logo for them are or what their uniform usually looks like.
  • Sixth House = blood red and black, like the ash statues and everything else they have.
  • House Hlaalu = gold and maybe a warm orangy-brown
  • House Redoran = earthy red and ash grey
  • House Telvanni = greenish-blue and bronze, like their council chamber, but they also have a kind of ashy purple
  • House Indoril = aqua and bronze
  • House Dres = ash grey and black, although this is just based on their banner I found online
  • Blades = gunmetal grey and gold
  • Dark Brotherhood = black and dark blue
  • Fighters Guild = light grey and dark grey
  • Imperial Cult = light blue and gold
  • Imperial Legion = steel grey and red
  • Mages Guild = blue and copper
  • Thieves Guild = dark grey and white
  • Ashlanders = ash grey and earthy brown, but maybe you could use some of their cool lamps that are all the different colors
  • Morag Tong = blood red and ashy white
  • Tribunal Temple = midnight blue and bronze, like Vivec's two colors
  • Twin Lamps = yellow and orange
  • Skaal = icy blue and steel grey
I guess a lot of these are quite similar, but Morrowind has such an earthy palette that they all kind of get muddled together.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

Zobator wrote:
Pherim wrote: Something like this doesn't necessarily need any 3D modeling (in fact I doubt it was used to make this image), you can get similar results with Photoshop's layer effects Bevel and Emboss.
The creator of that image used 3Ds Max (https://www.behance.net/gallery/3985601 ... wallpapers) I doubt you could get that kind of detail in the model with just B&E in Photoshop, especially if you have a look at the other ones he made... I'm not sure yet in what exact style I'm going to do the emblems/crests/... and probably going to fiddle around with that for some time, but that metallic style might be for a future project :p
Ok, I didn't realize he used 3DS Max for it, but I also didn't imply he used Photoshop B&E - just wanted to point out you can get similar results with it. ;)
I suspected maybe a mix of hand-drawn, overlays and possibly some vector graphics, but yes, it is definitely more apparent in the other images that they are 3D.
Zobator

Post by Zobator »

Ravenwing wrote: I guess a lot of these are quite similar, but Morrowind has such an earthy palette that they all kind of get muddled together.
Hey thanks! That's exactly why I'm asking around about these colors. I also thought they were pretty similar so I needed some extra input.

If anyone else would like to share their opinion, that would be great. :)