S.T.E.P.-like guide(s) for Morrowind

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Mishtal

S.T.E.P.-like guide(s) for Morrowind

Post by Mishtal »

I wanted to raise awareness to the existence of a few guides that I recently ran into for Morrowind, both of which seem to still receive updates.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Morrowind
and
http://pastebin.com/7gF2VLaf

I'm not affiliated with either of the two above guides, I'm simply a noob user who's trying to mix-and-match from them to enjoy some OpenMW on his Linux machine :-)
SteveOdom

Re: S.T.E.P.-like guide(s) for Morrowind

Post by SteveOdom »

I am working on something like this, though I'm noobish myself. I know how to install mods on openmw and I have a clear view of what I want for my game. This will take some time though. When it's finsished, I'll post it here. :)
Mishtal

Post by Mishtal »

One thing that I found quite interesting while working on installing mods from these recommendation guides is that a very large number of mods for Morrowind have very permissive licensing. For example, many of them are licensed as "Do whatever you want", and others are licensed as "You can include my work in another mod, as long as you email me and say that you included it."

I would be very interested to see a project similar to the STEP patch for Morrowind and/or OpenMW. Take a look at this page: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11/? . at the bottom, you can see the full list of mods included in the STEP patch. I count 28 individual mods.

Given that Skyrim and the Mod Organizer program that Skyrim STEP recommends users use makes installing mods potentially very simple and easy (or very complex and hard, depending on your point of view I suppose) the STEP Patch probably doesn't save their users more than a few hours of installation time. However, that's still a significant time savings for mods that they consider to be basic and necessary.

So far I've found the process of installing mods in Morrowind to be simple but challenging due to the relatively manual nature of the beast, I simply can't imagine that given such a solid and historied modding community, especially one with such permissive licenses, that a "STEP Patch" mod couldn't be assembled in such a way.

Oh well. I'm certainly not going to ask people to put work into that. I know that I personally don't have the time, nor the skills, to assemble something like that, so trying to sound a call to arms would be rather silly of me.
SteveOdom

Post by SteveOdom »

There are many steps that could be made easier when using openMW. In stead of having all these mods on a seperate line, you could put them in the same folder and have one line to acces them all. This would make the process a lot easier for the user. it wouldn't be difficult, nor that time-consuming to create such a superpmod for openMW at all.
There a, however, two things I consider to be crucial to making this that are a bit harder.
  • Creating a mod list that is considered 'perfect'
  • Getting al the required permissions
Mishtal

Post by Mishtal »

Right, I was of course referring to the process of vetting the prospective mods to be included, and further ensuring proper licensing. As I said, many very popular mods already have permissions allowing the inclusion in other mods, which doesn't restrict compilations from being used.

As for how to decide which to include in such a supermod... well, that's pretty subjective *shrug*. The STEP people for Skyrim seem to have a decent process figured out though, so *shrug*.

Anyway, it's a nice thought, but I know it would be a huge undertaking, so it's just a pipe dream :-)