Morrowind Patch Project

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Kael

Morrowind Patch Project

Post by Kael »

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Morrow ... ch_Project

Should I install this? If so, does anyone have a proper/latest link?
Greywander

Re: Morrowind Patch Project

Post by Greywander »

Short answer: Yes, install it.

Long answer:
OpenMW is a reimplementation of the Morrowind engine. While not quite feature complete (it's very close, though, and fully playable in its current state), it does fix a lot of bugs. Engine bugs. Any errors in the programming of the Morrowind engine are a nonissue here, and as such something like the Morrowind Code Patcher is unnecessary.

However, in addition to bugs in the original game engine, Morrowind also has bugs in the game files. These are things like poorly written scripts, misplaced objects, incorrect item/spell stats, et cetera. These are not problems with the engine itself, and as such they are not fixed by OpenMW. These are errors in the game files themselves, which OpenMW will faithfully read and recreate, as it's supposed to.

The errors can only be fixed by editing the ESM/ESP files, or by supplying a mod that overwrites the erroneous data with correct data. This is what the Unofficial Patch does. Therefore, yes, you need to install it if you want to fix these errors.

Not sure about where to get the latest version. Poked around the Google a bit but I couldn't find anything definite.
Kael

Post by Kael »

Alright, besides the Morrowind Patch Project, what else should I get? Here is also my modlist.

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Morrowind Patch v1.6.6_beta\Data Files

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Morrowind Rebirth\Morrowind Rebirth v 3.8\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Official Bethesda Plugins\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Darknut Weapons\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Darknut Armor\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Darknut Creatures\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\R Azura Replacer\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\R Better Almalexia Replacer\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\R Dagoth Ur Replacer\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\R Vivec God Replacer\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\V Almalexia Voice\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\V Dagoth Ur Voice\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\V Vivec God Voice\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\P4thogens Enchantment Multiplier Mod\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Encumberance Increaser\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Skill Level x10\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Magic Diversity\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Graphic Herbalism\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\HELLUVA Wicked Weapons\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\HELLUVA Awesome Armors\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Heaven's Lookout\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Ashlander Tent\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Shipwreck Home\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Cozy House\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Westly Presents Creed of the Assassin\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Better Heads v2.0\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Better Bodies\Underwear\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Better Clothes\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Thief Companion Constance\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Julan Ashlander Companion\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Tamriel Rebuilt\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Vivec Expansion Tweaked Reworked v3.1\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Abot Boats\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Abot Gondoliers\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Abot Siltstriders\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Abot Where are all birds going\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Creature XI\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Weathered Signs\Data Files"

data="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\OpenMW Mods\Stormkiss Reforged\Data Files"
Kael

Post by Kael »

Also, I use Notepad++ for the openmw config. Not sure how to remove all the extra stuff so I can simplify the mod list, but the mods are listed at the end of each line.
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

Code: Select all

Morrowind Patch v1.6.6_beta
Morrowind Rebirth\Morrowind Rebirth v 3.8
Official Bethesda Plugins
Darknut Weapons
Darknut Armor
Darknut Creatures
R Azura Replacer
R Better Almalexia Replacer
R Dagoth Ur Replacer
R Vivec God Replacer
V Almalexia Voice
V Dagoth Ur Voice
V Vivec God Voice
P4thogens Enchantment Multiplier Mod
Encumberance Increaser
Skill Level x10
Magic Diversity
Graphic Herbalism
HELLUVA Wicked Weapons
HELLUVA Awesome Armors
Heaven's Lookout
Ashlander Tent
Shipwreck Home
Cozy House
Westly Presents Creed of the Assassin
Better Heads v2.0
Better Bodies\Underwear
Better Clothes
Thief Companion Constance
Julan Ashlander Companion
Tamriel Rebuilt
Vivec Expansion Tweaked Reworked v3.1
Abot Boats
Abot Gondoliers
Abot Siltstriders
Abot Where are all birds going
Creature XI
Weathered Signs
Stormkiss Reforged
The "Find and Replace" tool is your friend.

Also, it's been a while since I played Morrowind. I can't think of any must-have mods off the top of my head. The Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul (MGSO) used to be quite good, but it's since gotten out of date (and indeed, there were some broken mods in it anyway). As painful as it might be, you might try to find a list of each mod included in MGSO and download the most up-to-date version individually. Looks like you already have a few of them (or already installed MGSO).

The one thing I would recommend is a leveling mod of some kind. The leveling system in both Morrowind and Oblivion is atrocious, requiring meticulous micromanaging of your skill gains in order to insure you maximize your attribute growth at a level up. Personally I've always liked natural growth mods like Galsiah's Character Development (GCD), but even a simple mod that simply fixes your attribute growth regardless of skill gains would do. Make sure you get something that allows Endurance growth to retroactively apply to Health.

Also, you might want to double check that any mods you download will actually work with OpenMW. OpenMW does not and probably will not support mods that use MWSE, so those are all out (eventually, OpenMW will introduce it's own extended scripting system, but that's a post-1.0 goal). Most mods that work in vanilla Morrowind (sans any kind of script extender or hackery) should work in OpenMW, but note that OpenMW has a stricter script compiler. Mods with badly written scripts won't work properly (even if they work fine in vanilla Morrowind), though you may be able to repair them yourself in OpenMW-CS. Best thing to do is notify the mod author and hope they' fix it.
Kael

Post by Kael »

Greywander wrote:

Code: Select all

Morrowind Patch v1.6.6_beta
Morrowind Rebirth\Morrowind Rebirth v 3.8
Official Bethesda Plugins
Darknut Weapons
Darknut Armor
Darknut Creatures
R Azura Replacer
R Better Almalexia Replacer
R Dagoth Ur Replacer
R Vivec God Replacer
V Almalexia Voice
V Dagoth Ur Voice
V Vivec God Voice
P4thogens Enchantment Multiplier Mod
Encumberance Increaser
Skill Level x10
Magic Diversity
Graphic Herbalism
HELLUVA Wicked Weapons
HELLUVA Awesome Armors
Heaven's Lookout
Ashlander Tent
Shipwreck Home
Cozy House
Westly Presents Creed of the Assassin
Better Heads v2.0
Better Bodies\Underwear
Better Clothes
Thief Companion Constance
Julan Ashlander Companion
Tamriel Rebuilt
Vivec Expansion Tweaked Reworked v3.1
Abot Boats
Abot Gondoliers
Abot Siltstriders
Abot Where are all birds going
Creature XI
Weathered Signs
Stormkiss Reforged
The "Find and Replace" tool is your friend.

Also, it's been a while since I played Morrowind. I can't think of any must-have mods off the top of my head. The Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul (MGSO) used to be quite good, but it's since gotten out of date (and indeed, there were some broken mods in it anyway). As painful as it might be, you might try to find a list of each mod included in MGSO and download the most up-to-date version individually. Looks like you already have a few of them (or already installed MGSO).

The one thing I would recommend is a leveling mod of some kind. The leveling system in both Morrowind and Oblivion is atrocious, requiring meticulous micromanaging of your skill gains in order to insure you maximize your attribute growth at a level up. Personally I've always liked natural growth mods like Galsiah's Character Development (GCD), but even a simple mod that simply fixes your attribute growth regardless of skill gains would do. Make sure you get something that allows Endurance growth to retroactively apply to Health.

Also, you might want to double check that any mods you download will actually work with OpenMW. OpenMW does not and probably will not support mods that use MWSE, so those are all out (eventually, OpenMW will introduce it's own extended scripting system, but that's a post-1.0 goal). Most mods that work in vanilla Morrowind (sans any kind of script extender or hackery) should work in OpenMW, but note that OpenMW has a stricter script compiler. Mods with badly written scripts won't work properly (even if they work fine in vanilla Morrowind), though you may be able to repair them yourself in OpenMW-CS. Best thing to do is notify the mod author and hope they' fix it.

About Galsiah's Character Development. I've heard it doesn't work and you have to do quite a bit of work to get it to work in the first place. Not sure how to use it with OpenMW.
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

The only issue with GCD is that your attributes will max out at 95 (not sure about skills). Since the game hard caps your natural attributes at 100, GCD is supposed to bypass this by only raising your "natural" attributes to 95, and then using Fortify effects to simulate attributes higher than 95. For some reason, though, it doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure if this is an issue with OpenMW (in which case it's probably a scripting error that OpenMW's stricter standards doesn't allow), or if doesn't work in vanilla Morrowind, either. I seems to remember years and years ago playing with GCD (on vanilla MW) and it working as intended, so maybe it just broke during an update.

If you're okay with having your attributes max out at 95, then you should be fine (I think). If you want to test it out, the fasted way would probably be to get some alchemy supplies, use the console to give yourself a crapload of ingredients, and then go to town making potions. Your Alchemy skill should shoot up really fast, and you can see if your skills will increase beyond 100. If you want to check if your attributes will go above 95, I'd suggest using the console to give yourself a lot of gold and then training your other skills to be really high.

For me, I've about given up on finding a good natural grow mod that works properly. I intend to make my own mod once OpenMW starts dehardcoding gameplay elements and/or improves scripting. I'm not too keen on trying to figure out how to jump through all the hoops to make it work on vanilla MW.
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

GCD has some other issues that make it for me unusable.
I've been following it closely because it's a must for me, and it seems the only solution is to re-implement it for OpenMW.

This is due to the buggy nature of set* methods in the Morrowind engine...really I cannot understand how they designed that XXXX of api.
Here is some more info:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3861
Take special notice of game breaking stuff like this https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3522
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@Kael: Just a general remark: Check out the Mod Status Wiki page, our Mod Compatibility subforum, and our bug tracker, if you are having problems with a certain mod. In the case of GCD, a quick look at the Wiki page turns up valuable information.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

I saw Magic Diversity in your list which has been causing crashes for me under certain circumstances. I didn't look into the reason, just disabled it.
Regarding leveling I've been using Madd Leveler along with Talrivian's State-Based HP Mod and I'm not aware of any issues.