NifTools 3ds max plugins and character animations

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
TheOneWhoWatches

Re: NifTools 3ds max plugins and character animations

Post by TheOneWhoWatches »

DestinedToDie wrote:
TheOneWhoWatches wrote:BTW, will it be ok to use Skyrim nif files for meshes? Anyone tried that with OpenMW?
Bethesda is known for shutting down projects that involve mixing assets from another game (Oblivion, for example) with Morrowind. It's yours to decide, but should you ever get their attention, you know what happens. Cease and desist.
I was more interested in technical side (can OpenMW open newer nifs?).
I tried to use uunpb (skyrim nif format) with xpmse at first so I was wondering if I can use unchanged files. Looks like it's not possible.

Thanks for the info, but does this involve mods, created by someone else for Skyrim, for example?
lysol

Post by lysol »

TheOneWhoWatches wrote: Thanks for the info, but does this involve mods, created by someone else for Skyrim, for example?
Mods as in "models and textures", no this wouldn't be any problem as long as you've got permission from the mod author.

Mods as in "esp file made in Creation Kit" is another thing however. I would guess that the EULA for the CK says something like "everything created using this tool belongs to Bethesda, kthxbye".
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That is indeed an issue with esps, and is part of the reason why tools like TESVEdit (and OpenMW's Construction Set) exist - they don't have that restriction.
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

TheOneWhoWatches wrote: Yes, I'd like to replace skeleton with something more customizable.
As for animations... Well, personally I think morrowind skeleton should be replaced first.
BTW, will it be ok to use Skyrim nif files for meshes? Anyone tried that with OpenMW?
I may be wrong but I think that for Skyrim they made two skeletons (male/female) for human/beast characters unlike Morrowind, where beast have their on skeleton due to difference in topology in lower torso. So keep that in mind if you gonna dive more into this stuff, there may be trouble ahead. :mrgreen:

As for using Skyrim meshes I don't know, maybe but then you need to chip chop meshes and transfer skinning somehow.
But I would rather see updated vanilla meshes with some minor tweaks.