OpenTESArena 0.1.0 Released

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
afritz1

OpenTESArena 0.1.0 Released

Post by afritz1 »

I have released version 0.1.0 of my open-source engine reimplementation for The Elder Scrolls: Arena, available on GitHub:

https://github.com/afritz1/OpenTESArena ... rena-0.1.0

The objective of this project is to allow Arena to be played on modern PCs without requiring an emulator like DOSBox. The original game's behavior will be approximated while also increasing stability and offering new features like improved graphics. This project is unaffiliated with OpenMW.

It is still in a very early state, but some of the basic framework is there. The intro is working, you can choose a couple things during character creation, and you can walk around the test world. Some of the interface buttons like the portrait, map, and logbook can be clicked as well.
Naugrim

Re: OpenTESArena 0.1.0 Released

Post by Naugrim »

Excellent news :D
I could test it and it is obviously an alpha but it is very promising nevertheless. My only issue so far is that the installation instructions in the README are not 100% accurate for the audio `Obtaining a MIDI sound patches library`.
It does not mention where to extract the eawpats folder, or that the line 61 of the `timidity.cfg` needs to be updated with the folder.

Is there a reason why those cannot be included? Right now I have it working in the same directory and all configuration is done with relative paths. So, as part of the build process, the zip file could be downloaded and included with the proper `timidity.cfg`.
afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

Naugrim wrote:It does not mention where to extract the eawpats folder, or that the line 61 of the `timidity.cfg` needs to be updated with the folder.
The eawpats folder can be extracted anywhere. You just have to update the Soundfont path in options.txt to point to where timidity.cfg is after moving it up into the eawpats folder. I find it convenient to put eawpats in the data folder.

If by line 61 you mean "dir c:\eawpats", then that can simply be commented out with a '#' if your eawpats folder is in the data directory. I haven't experimented too much with it yet, so there may be a better place to put it.
Naugrim wrote:Is there a reason why those cannot be included? Right now I have it working in the same directory and all configuration is done with relative paths. So, as part of the build process, the zip file could be downloaded and included with the proper `timidity.cfg`.
I'm not sure if I can distribute eawpats with it. The eawpats Readme mentions that there may be IP issues due to proprietary sound samples, so I just want to play it safe and only suggest it as an option the user can decide on. You can use any sound patches config you like as long as WildMIDI can read it; it doesn't have to be eawpats.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2 ... 00137.html <-- the license of eawpats, for what is is worth.

It can't be included in Debian/Ubuntu thanks to its non-free license when it comes to commercial works.

This shouldn't prevent OpenTESArena from providing it's own modified version of eawpats that one can just extract to a directory and be done with it.

I wouldn't ship eawpats with the release itself to try to keep IP separated, but providing a supplement package in the github release page shouldn't be a problem.

Great job OpenTESArena team!
afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

psi29a wrote:providing a supplement package in the github release page shouldn't be a problem.
I have done so. Thanks, psi29a. Windows users will be happy they don't need to install 7-Zip just to extract eawpats now.

Users can now download one of the provided eawpats packages from the releases page and place the extracted eawpats folder into the data folder that comes with each of the OpenTESArena packages. This should make it more convenient for users to get the application to play MIDI music.
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

I can't run it, I get this message:

GameState: Initializing.
Audio Manager: Initializing.
Audio Manager error: alcOpenDevice
afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

MiroslavXO wrote:I can't run it, I get this message:

GameState: Initializing.
Audio Manager: Initializing.
Audio Manager error: alcOpenDevice
Do you have OpenAL installed? The project uses OpenAL Soft for mixing and audio output.

On Windows, I believe this should install it for you: https://www.openal.org/downloads/oalinst.zip
On Linux, I'm not sure. Maybe you need to build it yourself?
Ragora

Post by Ragora »

afritz1 wrote:On Linux, I'm not sure. Maybe you need to build it yourself?
Shouldn't need to build anything on Linux (for my prebuilt binaries) for Ubuntu Trusty and Xenial (or most derivative distros like LUbuntu). Just need OpenAL and a usable OpenCL ICD installed. Same should apply for other distros (provided that they work with GCC 4.9 executables) but I haven't tested.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libopenal-dev ocl-icd-libopencl1

# Or libopenal1 if you don't want the dev package.
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

I wanted to check the last 0.3 release and the game crashes on load, both 32 and 64 bits versions on Windows 8.1 (x64).
It says that it cannot find "VCRUNTIME140D.dll", I installed the dll from some site but it still crashes with no info.

[FIXED, for 32 bits]
The 32 bit version showed a message asking for ucrtbased.dll, after copying it into the folder it works. The 64 shows no message though :/
afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

Naugrim wrote:I wanted to check the last 0.3 release and the game crashes on load, both 32 and 64 bits versions on Windows 8.1 (x64).
It says that it cannot find "VCRUNTIME140D.dll", I installed the dll from some site but it still crashes with no info.
Hmm, that .dll is only used for debug builds, and the downloads I put up are the release builds for sure because the executable sizes are much smaller. This is probably due to a mix-up in my CMake configuration. I'll look into it. I also need to re-download VS2013 because I uninstalled it thinking it was old, but that inadvertently took the build tools for older versions of Windows with it (I thought VS2015 would have them but it doesn't).

In the time since v0.3.0, I've added a couple other things like an optional modern interface mode with free-look, rough draft weapon animations (just fists for now), and a rough draft automap (very bare-bones). I've thought about uploading some gameplay to YouTube once I figure out what software to use (probably Radeon ReLive). Thanks for your interest in my project, by the way!