Xubuntu

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
aesylwinn

Xubuntu

Post by aesylwinn »

I finally got around to changing the linux distro I was using on my laptop. I was originally using Arch, but that was too unreliable for my needs. That was probably in part caused by my choice to use libinput instead of evdev. :lol: So now, I'm using Xubuntu. Surprisingly the installation took longer than that of Arch linux, There was a troublesome "SecureBoot" issue, that took a bit of time to work around. However, it's up an working now.

I'm really liking this distro so far. I only had to make a couple of visual/shortcut tweaks before I got an interface that works for me. Setting up a build environment wasn't as easy as it is on Arch, but it was still fairly simple. Now I just need to figure out if I can get workspaces to be arrayed in multiple rows and columns.
raevol

Re: Xubuntu

Post by raevol »

I used Xubuntu for a long time, I loved it. I finally got tired of all the rough edges though and switched to vanilla Ubuntu. I was so resistant to Unity, but I made a pact with myself: I would force myself to use it for a week, and if I couldn't adapt, I'd go back to Xubuntu.

Didn't take me more than 10 minutes to acclimate to Unity. Haven't looked back since, it's so great to have a DE that's just plug and play. Well, maybe not 100%, I still change the icons...
Holgar

Post by Holgar »

Eventually I wanted to go to sleep, but for one moment, you guys are drawing me back to some comment 8-)

Ubuntu wouldn't be my first choice in linux distro (started up with slackware in 1995; Morrowind on Debian Woody in 2004). But I think most people are using it, so communication might be somewhat easier in linux gaming. Especially steam is also providing it and there are two things you can't get around without in linux gaming: wine && steam

Had some strange problems with debian, obviously because I'm a bit *outdated*

So here we go.

€dit: Oops: 16.04 LTS so far
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

I tried Unity for 10 minutes in a virtual machine and found I couldn't stand it. :lol: I'm probably not the typical user though.

The fact that Steam is officially supported on Ubuntu is a definite plus. I had to use a workaround to get it running on Arch. I'm mostly going with an Ubuntu variant for stability. Sometimes I haphazardly decide to update my laptop before important deadlines, and I can't afford to have something break on me.
raevol

Post by raevol »

aesylwinn wrote:I tried Unity for 10 minutes in a virtual machine and found I couldn't stand it. :lol: I'm probably not the typical user though.
Yea, that's why I installed to metal and committed to a week. Locking yourself into it makes you see it a little differently.

It's not for everyone though, for sure! And that's the beauty of Linux: you have a choice.