Learning how to program - different approach

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Learning how to program - different approach

Post by lgromanowski »

Learning how to program - different approach:

https://www.codingame.com/start
raevol

Re: Learning how to program - different approach

Post by raevol »

So thiiiis is how we are going to get devs for 1.0! :D

Edit: In the C++ class I took we also played with a program called Colobot where you would program instructions into a bot that would then operate in a 3d environment, and your code had to instruct it to solve objectives. There's an open source version of it somewhere but I am not sure where... Suffice to say I got kind of carried away with the exercises and got my bot to do all kinds of ridiculous things. I think I spent the most time trying to get a proper fly/aim system working for a flying bot to actively hunt down flying opponents and shoot them. It's an easy task if you just brute force spamming fire in a general direction, but getting it to fly/track/target/shoot elegantly was quite a chore.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

raevol wrote:So thiiiis is how we are going to get devs for 1.0! :D

Edit: In the C++ class I took we also played with a program called Colobot where you would program instructions into a bot that would then operate in a 3d environment, and your code had to instruct it to solve objectives. There's an open source version of it somewhere but I am not sure where... Suffice to say I got kind of carried away with the exercises and got my bot to do all kinds of ridiculous things. I think I spent the most time trying to get a proper fly/aim system working for a flying bot to actively hunt down flying opponents and shoot them. It's an easy task if you just brute force spamming fire in a general direction, but getting it to fly/track/target/shoot elegantly was quite a chore.
Oh damn CoLoBoT, lost a lot of my childhood to that game. Even played through it again now that it's gone open-source, ended up using a lot more complex programs then as well.
Colobot.info - the home of the open-source version, for anyone that wants to try it. Apparently they hold code battles every now and then.

I think there was an education version of it named CeeBot that Epsitech did as well, though I've never seen that one in action.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Ceebot was what we used in class! Colobot was what I found after the class was over, I have it on my computer but haven't touched it in a long time.