utymap - Library for dynamic 2D/3D map construction

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

utymap - Library for dynamic 2D/3D map construction

Post by lgromanowski »

Found it today, maybe it would be useful for OpenMW-Template (or OpenMW-CS)?
UtyMap is a library which provides highly customizable API for procedural world generation based on real map data, e.g. OpenStreetMap, NaturalEarth. Core logic is written on C++11 and can be used on many platforms as it has no dependency to specific game engine or application framework. You can use it to create interactive world at different zoom levels, including globe and ground
https://github.com/reinterpretcat/utymap
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: utymap - Library for dynamic 2D/3D map construction

Post by psi29a »

Pretty neat, but out of scope for the template.

It's plugins are for Unity and we would need a bit of time to integrate it into OpenMW-CS.
GeorgeTheWarp

Post by GeorgeTheWarp »

psi29a wrote:Pretty neat, but out of scope for the template.

It's plugins are for Unity and we would need a bit of time to integrate it into OpenMW-CS.
How hard would it be to do?

From a beginner's perspective (from somebody who can program and knows how classes works, but is shit with them either ways?), I mean?

Would the procedural world generation permit creation of a world of around 10 000 000 kilometers be possible? Or would it just have horrible scaling bugs?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I don´t think there´s anything that directly translates to a kilometer or a mile ingame. What we can do is compare how many exterior cells, or file size.

I created an .esp file with Tesannwyn that´s 1.01 GB large. It´s nothing but land.

For comparison, Morrowind.esm is 76.1 MB. And this includes a lot more things than land.

The issue with a huge amount of land is that when you launch the game, it takes about a minute to load the esp in contrast to loading Morrowind+Tribunal+Bloodmoon in 2 seconds. Also when it comes to bugs, when you try to rest it takes like an extra second for it to react after you click "rest".
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

DestinedToDie wrote:I don´t think there´s anything that directly translates to a kilometer or a mile ingame. What we can do is compare how many exterior cells, or file size.

I created an .esp file with Tesannwyn that´s 1.01 GB large. It´s nothing but land.

For comparison, Morrowind.esm is 76.1 MB. And this includes a lot more things than land.

The issue with a huge amount of land is that when you launch the game, it takes about a minute to load the esp in contrast to loading Morrowind+Tribunal+Bloodmoon in 2 seconds. Also when it comes to bugs, when you try to rest it takes like an extra second for it to react after you click "rest".
Speaking as someone who upgraded his RAM from an insufficient amount to a plentiful amount, that lag on rest might be something more to do with the memory being used than the raw scale of the world.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I once tested having the entire map of Oahu Island (Hawaii) (100:1 scale) loaded into OpenMW. The result of which ended up finding memory leaks in OpenMW, I think the esp file is still on the bug tracker somewhere.

This was before cell preloading, but I suspect that it is seamless now. The real drawback was that the file was read-in during startup which is a real pity because it takes awhile. No way to work around that because the esp parser has to look for everything.

If there was a dedicated file format for terrain, then it could be streamed thus reducing load times. This would allow us to have larger worlds as a result without suffering from the initial load time.