Compatible Only Mod Listing for OpenMW

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Azamorn

Compatible Only Mod Listing for OpenMW

Post by Azamorn »

As the title suggest I'm thinking of creating a website to host mods for OpenMW,
Users can submit their own mods and then the mod just needs to get tested, if it works for OpenMW's current version then I'll mark it as compatible and display it on the site for download along with whatever other details the author specifies, e.g. description and such.

It's a hassle to find mods that are compatible for OpenMW, and lets be honest, post 1.0 some features will definitely be implemented for OpenMW that will allow mods that the traditional morrowind even with script extender won't be able to run, possibly.

So hence why I thought it would be a good idea to get a community going of modders who build mods exclusively with OpenMW in mind, thoughts?
lysol

Re: Compatible Only Mod Listing for OpenMW

Post by lysol »

Sounds good! Go ahead.
Remiros

Post by Remiros »

Good Idea. I'm actually working on a few OpenMW-based retextures at the moment. My retexture for the Imperial Forts will probably still get released this week. I might switch to more simple retextures then.
Azamorn

Post by Azamorn »

Awesome :) I'll get to it then!

I'm sure everyone is familiar with http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/, I'd like to build the user interface in a similar manner but I think it would be great if I can get some comments from the community in what they would want out of something like this, like a features & suggestions wishlist if you will.

I'm going to make the website fully responsive as well so that it looks good for mobile phones as well as desktop, Nexus mods is downright ugly to view on a mobile phone, additionally I think it would be cool if for any particular mod you can download the revisions that's been uploaded for the mod, so if the latest version has an addition that you aren't particularly happy with you can then download the previous version.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Azamorn wrote:I think it would be cool if for any particular mod you can download the revisions that's been uploaded for the mod, so if the latest version has an addition that you aren't particularly happy with you can then download the previous version.
That's the default behaviour on the Nexus. If older versions aren't available, it's because the author removed them themselves.
Azamorn

Post by Azamorn »

AnyOldName3 wrote:
Azamorn wrote:I think it would be cool if for any particular mod you can download the revisions that's been uploaded for the mod, so if the latest version has an addition that you aren't particularly happy with you can then download the previous version.
That's the default behaviour on the Nexus. If older versions aren't available, it's because the author removed them themselves.
I see, I guess I overlooked that :)
Nivim

Post by Nivim »

I have little to suggest but these;
  1. Be careful to keep the interface from getting cluttered. Less like Nexus and more like Morrowind Modding History, in other words.
  2. Don't use obnoxious quantities and complexities of scripting. It should be possible to browse the site with something like NoScript, and use the site (logging in and uploading/downloading a mod) by only needing to whitelist the primary domain. Maybe a user won't have all the fancy features and graphics, but the basics should still work, and if they have a poor connection it could mean the difference between 15 minutes spent browsing and 120.