Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Jemolk

Re: Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Post by Jemolk »

lysol wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 08:20 So, a question to you all.

Parallax maps or no parallax maps for the imperial forts?

https://imgur.com/a/O6AkPSf

I feel the realistic thing would really be "no parallax", since the texture does look like the stones are very square shaped and thus wouldn't really leave that much round edges left to do any real visible "parallaxy" stuff on. But parallax maps look cool, so maybe I could pretend the stones are more roughly shaped, with round corners, just to get a reason to have parallax maps.

Whad do you guys think?
Well, for what it's worth, I think no parallax looks better. Parallax maps are probably better used on other things, and I'm sure you'll still have plenty of chances to use them, and to better effect than occurs with the imperial forts.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Thanks! I updated the post btw, so you'll find another screenshot there.
Parallax maps are probably better used on other things
This though, stone walls are like the "ultimate place" to use parallax maps. Only maybe not just this stone wall. :)
raevol

Post by raevol »

I'd also vote no parallax, but I wonder if there's a way to use them without making the stones look like marshmallows? I mean no offense, but they look more solid with no parallax!
lysol

Post by lysol »

Right. Thanks, I'll think about what could be done.
lysol

Post by lysol »

So everyone that has said anything here and on discord has voted for no parallax. I also asked my wife (who knows nothing about this subject), and she agreed. I probably agree too. I might try another variant of the parallax maps, trying to get the rough details to still show at the same time. If I can't get that to work, then I'll only upload the parallaxed version as an optional download.

Thanks for your opinions!
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

Parallax can look much more realistic, just not the specific parallax map you're using. One way to really take advantage of the parallax effect is to widen the gap between the stone bricks a bit (use thick mortar) and have a pronounced depth/edge difference between the brick face and the mortar. Don't gradually curve into it, either. The stone itself can have more imperfections, too, like sunken spots.
These images are some decent examples of stone brick parallax bringing out the depth without looking like a dome.
http://www.reallyslick.com/pictures/offsetmapping.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bfS4J65fXJY/maxresdefault.jpg

One big issue with going for more realistic textures in Morrowind, however, is the lack of detail of the models themselves. No matter how good the texture is, some things tend to stand out (the edges ending in a perfectly flat line).
If you know how to work with 3d models, I would try to make something like the link below.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/LxSp5hZFZ3k/maxresdefault.jpg
lysol

Post by lysol »

Yes, I know how I could do the height map more realistically. The problem is that parallax mapping tend to look pretty bad when you have too sharp and steep corners. The first example you link to is a good example of that: You might end up with edges that look strange in certain angles. The second example is probably displacement mapping, but that is just my guess. It looks a lot better than parallax mapping.

That said, I will try make less rounded corners and see how it looks.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

lysol wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 21:37The second example is probably displacement mapping, but that is just my guess. It looks a lot better than parallax mapping.
It's parallax occlusion, which is a more advanced technique but still just a texture. The picture is from a video showing the effect at different numbers of depth "slices". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfS4J65fXJY
Definitely one of the best techniques out there, especially as they're capable of self-shadowing.
lysol

Post by lysol »

CMAugust wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 01:51
lysol wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 21:37The second example is probably displacement mapping, but that is just my guess. It looks a lot better than parallax mapping.
It's parallax occlusion, which is a more advanced technique but still just a texture. The picture is from a video showing the effect at different numbers of depth "slices". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfS4J65fXJY
Definitely one of the best techniques out there, especially as they're capable of self-shadowing.
Thanks, it was actually parallax occlusion I meant. Displacement mapping is of course just as saying "bump mapping", i.e. just the name for all of these similar but different techniques. So parallax occlusion.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

I associate "displacement map" with the wikipedia definition, which is in contrast to bump mapping et al as it displaces actual geometry (and which I utilize in Blender), but I get you now. I still hope POM is one day supported in OpenMW since it gives great results.