Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
GeorgeTheWarp

Re: Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Post by GeorgeTheWarp »

Yo, Lysol, it's been a while I did anything 3D related, but I feel ready to return to the 3D modeling wonder, now.

So, I'll be brief: Send me full paths and names of meshes you want me to remake or UV map and I'll do it. I've been modding Skyrim for a while, so it's why I didn't do shit. Sorry mate.
lysol

Post by lysol »

For fun, I started doing a new model for the steel claymore in Morrowind.

The model for that weapon in Morrowind looks quite nice for its days (although it seems really rushed, since the handle and the blade bends a little bit, things aren't centered properly and similar) and I really like that it has such a realistic design. The texture really needs shaping up though. First, I thought about just making a retexture, but seriously, it uses like five or six different texture files, for one weapon (?!), so I ended up making a new model instead.

It's apparent that Bethesda took the texture for that weapon from photos since it has such a European design to it. What blade could it have been based from then? With a bit of help from google, this one. Looks similar right? ;) No doubt it has to be this blade they used. Seems to be a very famous claymore, it was easy to find on google by just googling "Claymore sword".

As soon as I've managed to figure out how to do a good render in Blender, I'll post a picture of my progress.
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Wow it awesome! Can't wait what awesome things you can do with this! :D
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

lysol wrote:For fun, I started doing a new model for the steel claymore in Morrowind.

[...]

As soon as I've managed to figure out how to do a good render in Blender, I'll post a picture of my progress.
We need more of your textures! Nobody can stop the hype! :twisted:

Btw: The claymore's "source" is a nice finding.
lysol

Post by lysol »

http://imgur.com/qN0xvR8

http://imgur.com/tMxhTa9

First renders that was worth posting. I'm getting there, although slowly. It looks dull at the moment, I haven't done any normals or specularity. I will be using LOADS of specularity on this one I think. :) And for the first time ever for me, I hope to make normal maps "the real way", baked from a high poly version of this one. Fingers crossed that I succeed.

I'm not sure I understand how many hours I've put into this today though... Since I'm still learning Blender (I'm getting better, but still), unwrapping this took ages. I think I spent 4 hours on it or something. Last time I checked what time it was, it was about 17:00. Now, it's 23:51. Eh.

But it's ok I guess, I'm having a cold, and wife is away for a week in Estonia. :roll:
lysol

Post by lysol »

Further progress:

http://imgur.com/zlEHRxc

One problem I've encountered now is that the blade is so daaaamn long that it becomes low res compared to everything else on that texture, even though it stretches through the entire 1024 pixels. Even more since I unwrapped it leaning a bit.. I might have to use a separate texture (with a res of, I don't know, 2048x256?!) for the blade unfortunately. Any suggestions?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You could have the UV map of the blade broken up into strips instead of one long region. As long as the texture has a bit of overflow outside the UV area, this should be doable without creating seams.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Don't know why I never thought of this. Doh. We'll see if I do this, since I guess it would mean I would have to redo the entire unwrap. The texture is now 1024x512, and to fit that in a good way, I'd have to go with 1024x1024, which means redoing the unwrap.
lysol

Post by lysol »

So far, I've made a normal map from the defuse texture which worked better than usual. I tried sculpting, but when I wanted to subdivide the mesh, it screw up the proportions too much. In 3ds max 6 (yeah, I think I'm getting old), I think you only had to define the hard and smooth edges for it to know where to smooth out and not. Might redo the normal map if I figure it out.

I did a specular map also, but it seems like it's quite hard to make that work well in blender, so I haven't loaded it in yet (yes, I'm serious. I don't know where the specularity in the render comes from). I think I need to finally get the model loaded in Morrowind before I know how the specularity looks.

And don't mind the gold color. I'll make it better. The specular map is important for that too.

Anyway, here's the render.

http://imgur.com/UNjQmcD
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Looks cool! But maybe do an inperial dragon on basically neutral object is not the best idea?