Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lysol

Re: Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Post by lysol »

So yeah, I spent time making tx_common_stone_floor.dds and tx_common_stone_pillar.dds seamless. Bethesda rewards me with their amazing unwrapping.

http://imgur.com/a/zWYD5
raevol

Post by raevol »

How do the original assets handle that?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Original assets are very blurry. All the seams are there, you just don't notice it due to the low resolution. Kind of like a sound being muffled in a sea of noise.

Making a high res one you'll notice a seam because the rest of what you see is very clear. There is no "noise" to distract you from clearly seeing it. And using a parallax map the seam becomes even more visible due to the sudden change in perceived height between the two sides of the seam.
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

lysol wrote:So yeah, I spent time making tx_common_stone_floor.dds and tx_common_stone_pillar.dds seamless. Bethesda rewards me with their amazing unwrapping.

Can you send me OBJ files, I wanna see if I can fix that with new UV's.
lysol

Post by lysol »

I haven't touched the models at all so far, so if I'm going to send you obj files, I'd have to figure out what models need fixing and also figure out what I need to convert from nif to obj. But I'll think about it. It'd be great to have some proper UV maps of course. I appreciate you wanting to help out.

@raevol: Yes, excactly what Destined said. If you go to the cellar under Arrille's (use console to unlock) you can see the old textures there. The do seam a lot too, but it isn't as distracting.
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

lysol wrote:So yeah, I spent time making tx_common_stone_floor.dds and tx_common_stone_pillar.dds seamless. Bethesda rewards me with their amazing unwrapping.

LOL. It seems working with extremely low res textures was far easier for them :lol:
raevol

Post by raevol »

lysol wrote:@raevol: Yes, excactly what Destined said. If you go to the cellar under Arrille's (use console to unlock) you can see the old textures there. The do seam a lot too, but it isn't as distracting.
Wow I see!
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

lysol wrote:I haven't touched the models at all so far, so if I'm going to send you obj files, I'd have to figure out what models need fixing and also figure out what I need to convert from nif to obj. But I'll think about it. It'd be great to have some proper UV maps of course. I appreciate you wanting to help out.
You do good texture work, eventually someone will make better UV's because the seams are really noticeable.
Eh, a tip if you want to take into account, don't go pitch black/white colors except sometimes when it's really needed, the floor to me looks like it is falling into abyss.

You can see on this picture tiles are dark, but not black, they vary between dark green color.

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mo ... 829311.jpg
lysol

Post by lysol »

Thanks, I agree. I actually thought about that too but I kinda rushed that texture a bit. Fortunately, the black part is a separate layer, so it's easy to just drag the opacity down a bit.
lysol

Post by lysol »

So, finally it's released. Get the imperial pack here!