Cultural learnings of the Internet.

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
commodore256

Cultural learnings of the Internet.

Post by commodore256 »

raevol wrote:
Unfortunately for Morrowind fans, the creators of OpenMW have no plans to add in this new multiplayer option until the suite is finalized and at version 1.0.

Since it’s currently sitting at 0.37, it may be a long time before we finally see this all come together.
Responsible journalism!
Well, at least they don't have a racist/sexist agenda like most Gaming sites. <rant>Bigotry to any group is bad, even white heterosexual cis-gendered males.</rant> At least you can tell they have a passion for games and less so click bait articles.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW featured on Niche Gamer

Post by psi29a »

commodore256 wrote:Well, at least they don't have a racist/sexist agenda like most Gaming sites. <rant>Bigotry to any group is bad, even white heterosexual cis-gendered males.</rant> At least you can tell they have a passion for games and less so click bait articles.
:roll:
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

raevol wrote:
Unfortunately for Morrowind fans, the creators of OpenMW have no plans to add in this new multiplayer option until the suite is finalized and at version 1.0.

Since it’s currently sitting at 0.37, it may be a long time before we finally see this all come together.
Responsible journalism!

Indeed.

I've always prefered a journalist that say "I don't when it will be released, it may be long", that one that just create a release date out of nowhere and then blame the developper for not respecting it
ezze

Post by ezze »

commodore256 wrote:Well, at least they don't have a racist/sexist agenda like most Gaming sites. <rant>Bigotry to any group is bad, even white heterosexual cis-gendered males.</rant> At least you can tell they have a passion for games and less so click bait articles.
Really? Is this happening to such a degree? I am kinda out from the video game world as I buy only from gog com; still I noticed that lately lots of people seem to be a social warrior without a clue.

I read something hilarious about GTA, the author was complaining about the representation of women as essentially a bunch of whores while at the same time totally missing how men are essentially a bunch of criminals.
wareya

Post by wareya »

Depends where you go. Journalism slants are a big problem for game developers though, both PC and anti-PC ones. Even if they're few in number, a single strong outlet with a slant can devastate a developer's PR. It's worse when those journalists pick favorites on top of having a slant.

I dropped out of the gaming community for a while because it got too silly.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

ezze wrote:
commodore256 wrote:Really? Is this happening to such a degree? I am kinda out from the video game world as I buy only from gog com; still I noticed that lately lots of people seem to be a social warrior without a clue.
You must have been living under a rock for the last year and a half. Consider staying under that rock, for your own sanity.

Here is the TL;DR: There is an infestation of feminism and other "social justice warriors" going on in computer technology, entertainment and education. There might be more areas, but those are the ones I know about. Let's stick to gaming for now. Imagine Jack Thompson all over again, but instead of violence it's about "sexism", and I put the term in quotes for a good reason. Violence is easy, if someone gets physically hurt it's violence. Sexism on the other hand can be anything: no female characters? You are trying to erase women's identity. Regular female characters as an option? Ms. Male Character. Sexy female character? Objectification. Female character has anything bad happen to her? Damsel in distress. Perfect angel female character? Now we're talking.

Jack Thomson was never really popular, he might have been able to convince some soccer moms, but that was about the only power he had. With feminists on the other hand almost the entire games media is backing them. Target in Australia has banned GTA V from its shelves after a feminist petition. Japanese publishers have stopped localising some games or censoring them for fear of backlash. It's just insane.

It's all a very simple tactic: create a problem and then sell the solution. Note that every single time you hear a feminist shit on something they always have financial interest in it: consulting services, a charity or paid speaking engagements. It's just like the mob coming into your store and saying "this is a nice place you have here, it would be a shame if someone called it sexist".

You can see it in other ares as well: university protesters are demanding "diversity departments" and those departments will be staffed by, you guessed it, the protesters and their friends. Open Source is a battlefield now as well, you will see feminist organizations go around and demand you implement a Code of Conduct, written by them, policed by them. After all, why wouldn't you want to foster a nice community? If you don't comply they show their real face:
http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918
(I have a few more links to actual cases)

If you adopt this code of conduct you basically paint a huge target on your head. That is why I hope that OpenMW never adopts such a CoC.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I'm a feminist and as a feminist, I try to be an advocate of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men. No more, no less.

I do this because I have a daughter and I want her to have the same equal footing in life as males.

Please don't lump me into the SJW camp because of that. SJW don't advocate 'justice' they seek revenge and have used some pretty dirty tactics. I would call them extremists at best. You don't advocate equality by burning the house down or putting one group above another. That just increases tensions!

What happened in the gaming "journalism" world is particularly nasty and myopic which is why I rolled my eyes at its mention.

I advocated a CoC earlier, but for entirely different reasons, rather it was about how to keep OpenMW a toxic (as in people) free environment. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Zini, Scrawl and others couldn't give a rat's ass who contributes, so long as it is technically sound and fits the project goals.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I'd say such a toxic environment can actually be pretty good, because it allows for freedom of thought, expression and ingenuity. Sure, you're going to get called a faggot, but a truly open-minded person understands that sometimes they really can be a faggot and won't get insulted by that notion. If it were a safe place where nobody can call you out for making an obviously absurd choice, you would never get the cue that you might be walking down a cliff.

I see people keeping their mouths shut while seeing the most hilarious things. Incompetence at the highest level. They're too scared to talk, too scared to offend. Often I'd greatly appreciate some of their input, being told you're doing it fucking wrong is a gift in disguise.
Last edited by DestinedToDie on 27 Jan 2016, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

If you want that, go to 4chan please. This isn't the place for that kind of behaviour. A general rule, if the person you are referring to is standing in front of you, would you call them a faggot? You may have the freedom to say what you wish, but that doesn't protect you from their reaction or that of others.

Take that into consideration.

There is a difference between calling someone an idiot and saying that their idea is idiotic. There is subtle but important distinction, and non native speakers of English should pay attention here.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

I don't think what he meant was that we should all run around calling people faggots for no reason. I consider it to be a self-regulating system: if you talk like an edgy teenager people will also treat you like an edgy teenager. The problem comes when you start enforcing it: where do you draw the line? Let's say someone calls someone a a nigger or faggot. I think we can all agree that that's inappropriate. But what if someone says "I don't want to be considered a quota-nigger", using an insulting term to convey the perception of other people to oneself? Is that offensive? I would much rather risk that some edgy teenager might come into the discussion than having normal people be afraid of speaking their mind our of fear from being blacklisted.
psi29a wrote:I'm a feminist and as a feminist, I try to be an advocate of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men. No more, no less.

I do this because I have a daughter and I want her to have the same equal footing in life as males.
I don't think that anyone in their right mind would object to that. However, the problem with feminism is that they are one-sided. You cannot balance a scale by looking only at one pan. This is what leads to lies like the paygap or rape statistics and injustices like affirmative action or the inversion of burden of proof. And if you say you are looking at both sides equally, they why call yourself a feminist in the first place?