Windows 10, MUST READ!

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Ace (SWE)

Re: Windows 10, MUST READ!

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I would say OpenMW is a product, a monetarily free product but a product nonetheless.

Instead of paying for it using money, you're paying for it through bug testing, reporting, and possibly through helping it grow.
And since time is money, I guess you could argue for it having a price.
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

Of course it's a product. If nothing else it's a product of the hard work of the development team.

It's not a commercial product, of course, and long may it remain so. It's still a product though :)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

DocClox wrote:Of course it's a product. If nothing else it's a product of the hard work of the development team.
A product of love! :D
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Are we just gong to forget about bending iPhones?
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

My Windows Phone has never bent at all. Of course, it's a Nokia, so it's also able to be used as a passable weapon in a pinch.

It would probably work better as a throwing weapon than as a bludgeon, if any modders feel like adding smartphones into OpenMW.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

SquireNed wrote:It would probably work better as a throwing weapon than as a bludgeon, if any modders feel like adding smartphones into OpenMW.
Wouldn't work in the OpenMW-Template... but feel free to submit it to the OpenMW-Example-Suite :P
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I would say OpenMW is a product, a monetarily free product but a product nonetheless.

Instead of paying for it using money, you're paying for it through bug testing, reporting, and possibly through helping it grow.
And since time is money, I guess you could argue for it having a price.
I don't see it this way. Players report bugs hoping that they will be fixed. And they just want to have fun with morrowind. It is hard to say who is "client" here.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Everyone is a client. That is how the whole client<->server/service model works. Without the client (be it users or developers), there would be no bug-reports. :)
Automatik

Post by Automatik »

psi29a wrote:Everyone is a client. That is how the whole client<->server/service model works. Without the client (be it users or developers), there would be no bug-reports. :)
Yeah but users aren't required to report bugs. (Even though if it's nice when they do it)
The only thing they have to do is to respect the GPL.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

You're overthinking it. The payment that people make is enabling and motivating the team to do work on their hobby.